1968 T-Bird trim removal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Excaliburss

1968 T-Bird trim removal

Post by Excaliburss »

Hi Guys,
I need to bring my -68 to the paint shop for a complete repaint. As I live in Spain, there is almost nobody that knows how to take trim of my car without damaging all. This I do not like to happen....so I am on my knees to find somebody in our forum to give me advice. I am a mechanic myself, but with the handicap of multiple sclerosis, but on a good day I could manage this problem bit by bit. When it is done I can deliver the vehicle to the painters.
So, now I hope, somebody of you can back me up with usable info on this matter. I would appreciate any help. Don´t like to ruin the cars future.
Thank you
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1968 T-Bird trim removal

Post by Alan H. Tast »

There are diagrams on trim installation in the '67 Shop Manual and '68 supplement, as well as in other body parts catalogs and the Ford Car 1965-1972 Master Parts Catalog (MPC). There's a lot of hidden clips that push in or have retaining nuts that require removal of interior trim or panels to get to. You're probably not going to like this part of my answer, but you need to invest in getting at least the 1967 Thunderbird shop manual and 1968 Thunderbird Shop Manual supplement (and consider yourself lucky - after 1968 Ford went to a 5-volume set for every year that covered all models (full-size (Galaxie-LTD), mid-size (Fairlane/Torino), compact (Falcon/Maverick/Pinto) and T-bird), not only for you but also for anyone who you may have work on it. The '65-'72 MPC is available on CD-ROM or maybe paid download from some Mustang parts vendors, advertised on places like eBay, etc., as are original copies and reproductions of the shop manuals. Obtaining copies of the manuals will more than pay for themselves in avoiding damaging trim that is irreplaceable, plus all of the other procedures and repairs that are covered in them that at one time or another may have to be performed.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Excaliburss

Post by Excaliburss »

Thanks Alan ! And yes...I try to avoid damage to the trim as I know that it is a nightmare to get new ones - a specially when you live in Spain. I ordered already the -68 supplement from the US that came the other day. Trim was mentioned here, but not the stuff I was looking for. Bad luck. As you say, I have to invest in the 67- book and hope something shows there.
I was hoping for someone in the forum already did that and remembered what to do - telling me... and I would gain time that way. Would love to have the car more or less ready by Christmas.
Thanks a lot to anyone in the forum that could help me out with comments !!
TheLaw1976

Post by TheLaw1976 »

Aquí un Balear con un Tbird del 67. Pregunta lo que quieras, que si puedo te ayudare...
STBeverly

Post by STBeverly »

Hey TheLaw1976! How did it go with your 68 Bird? We’re you able to figure out how to get the trim off? I just got a 1967 4 door and I recently started with the trim on the lip of the trunk to clean and brighten them. But I’m eventually going to have to pull the rocker panel trim off both sides to clean and brighten them as well.

Excaliburss wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:59 am Hi Guys,
I need to bring my -68 to the paint shop for a complete repaint. As I live in Spain, there is almost nobody that knows how to take trim of my car without damaging all. This I do not like to happen....so I am on my knees to find somebody in our forum to give me advice. I am a mechanic myself, but with the handicap of multiple sclerosis, but on a good day I could manage this problem bit by bit. When it is done I can deliver the vehicle to the painters.
So, now I hope, somebody of you can back me up with usable info on this matter. I would appreciate any help. Don´t like to ruin the cars future.
Thank you
1967 Ford Thunderbird Fordor Q code 63510 orig miles - engine rebuilt with 2410 miles