1964 A/C Assembly Drawing

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Terry64HT

1964 A/C Assembly Drawing

Post by Terry64HT »

I disassembled the sight glass and related fittings on my 1964 because of excess oil in the system and to fix a leak at one of the fittings. After cleaning and re-assembling, I could pull a good vacuum and hold it, but the system wouldn't accept a charge. I then found an extra part. It looks like a valve of some sort.
Does anyone have an assembly drawing for that area or can point me towards somewhere to get one?
Thanks
Terry
64HT
Attachments
20210923_113539Medium.jpg
20210923_113500Medium.jpg
jtschug

Re: 1964 A/C Assembly Drawing

Post by jtschug »

You don't need that valve, go ahead and just leave it out.

These days when cars are built, at some point the A/C system is complete and it is hooked to a machine that vacuums out the air and then fills with refrigerant.

Back when these cars were built, most cars did not have A/C and they didn't have a machine on the assembly line that could fill a car while the car moved from station to station. (it actually takes a while). The solution was that the HVAC unit under the dash came pre-filled with refrigerant. The liquid hose with the sight glass and the suction hose that connects to the compressor were attached to the HVAC unit and they were pressurized.

On the suction hose the rotoloc could be shut to hold in the refrigerant, and that little valve is what held it in on the liquid line. After all the lines were hooked up, the valves would be open and the system would be filled with the specified amount of refrigerant. The HVAC units were weighed to ensure that were properly charged before they left the parts plant (probably the Sheldon Road plant in Plymouth, MI not far from Wixom). Under the dash there used to be a sticker that would have the weight marked on it when it left the factory to confirm it was charged.

Now that the car is fully built and it can be charged with modern equipment, that valve is not needed.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

jtshug,
Two things:
First, thanks for telling me that I don't have to tear the system apart again, and second, for the excellent explanation and bit of history lesson.
As always, this forum is a goldmine.
Terry
64HT
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

How long did you have the system apart Terry? I don't think you are supposed to get any moisture in the dryer. Hopefully you capped it as soon as you disconnected it.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I had it apart for several days, trying to figure out a way to remove the excess oil as well as repair the leak at the sight glass housing. Knowing I was going to do this, I already had a new receiver/dryer to install. Put the system under vacuum overnight.
I'm not able to get the proper pressures, so I assume there is still excess oil in the system.
Have to come up with a new plan......
Terry
64HT
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

How much extra oil is in there?

I’d imagine you could get most of it by flushing the condenser and replacing the R/D bottle.

If you want to get it all they make special products to flush lines and the evaporator. You will need to take that step if you are switching refrigerants and need to take out all the old oil.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA