roof rack

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

TbirdIntender

roof rack

Post by TbirdIntender »

Anybody seen this one?

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ctd/d ... 35774.html

The text seems to indicate that the roof rack is original in some way. I've literally never seen one on any 'Bird.

What does the hive mind here say?
1966 Town Hardtop in sapphire blue
VTCI #13000
RAVEN

Re: roof rack

Post by RAVEN »

There never was a FORD factory installed nor was there a Dealer added Factory listed Roof Rack. A Roof Rack on a Bird would have been an after market, owner installed unit.
This also applies to a rear trunk lid luggage rack on a Bird. They just did not exist.
I have seen and heard of Trunk mounted units, but they were a Mustang rack installed on a Bird.

Not all things are true.

You could buy roof racks at your local customiser shop and install, but of those units, they mounted to the drip rails, along the window top area. I have never seen where they were screwed to and through the actual roof of the car.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Not trying to be a contrarian here Wally, but Ford actually DID offer accessory luggage racks. These were available in either
a roof mount or a decklid mount package. You could also order a separate luggage slat kit to go with the rack.
The installation could either be temporary (strapped on) or permanent (screwed into the sheet metal of the roof or decklid).
While not offered as a factory accessory, they could be ordered thru and installed by your Ford dealer.
These were more of a generic luggage rack that could be installed on possibly any model Ford passenger car.
No, these luggage racks were not designed specifically for a Thunderbird and they did not have a Thunderbird part number.
I'm betting they certainly could have been installed on a Thunderbird if an owner so chose to do so back in the day and it probably happened on occasion.

Here are the part numbers and prices as listed in the TOTAL PERFORMANCE ACCESSORIES FOR 1966 catalog.

ROOF MOUNT
C3AZ-2555100-D (basic kit) $25.00
C3AZ-2555100-F (luggage slats) $19.50

DECK MOUNT
C3AZ-2555-100-A (basic kit) $25.00
C3AZ-2555-100-B (luggage slats) $10.00

Tbirdintender, the luggage rack seen on the roof of the '66 Town Landau in the photo you included is NOT one of these FoMoCo accessory luggage racks. I can see the design differs from the Ford accessory racks which are pictured in my copy of the TOTAL PERFORMANCE ACCESSORIES FOR 1966 manual. The one in the photo has to be an aftermarket rack.
Over the years I have observed a few '64 - '66 Thunderbird Convertible's that had a luggage rack permanently mounted on the deck lid. I don't know if those were the Ford racks or an aftermarket assembly.

Scott
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Scott, thank you for the correction, although there is one point which did not enter my mind. What year did these reported racks exist? You mentioned a 1966 Performance Ford listing. In my mind and now possibly why I said NO was I was thinking 1964. On my Original Family Owned 64 Bird, my father had roof racks which mounted to the roof gutters to carry a small fishing boat. They were a universal mounted system and needed to be clamped to the gutters, but by no means FACTORY fitting. I threw those racks away several years ago, when cleaning out my dads estate. Maybe I should have kept them, maybe they were original!
I was only about 7 at the time they were used, so my memory is weak.
1964 Red Convertible
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

The part number prefix - C3AZ - indicates the luggage racks were introduced in 1963. So yes Wally, they surely should have been available in 1964.

It's certainly possible that roof luggage rack that your dad installed on your families '64 all those years ago might have been an actual FoMoCo part. If the mounting was temporary, the Ford roof luggage rack was held in place with four short straps. Each strap connected to a foot at the corner of the square rack and the opposite end of the strap was fastened onto the drip rail above the side windows. I would bet there was a FoMoCo logo and part number located somewhere on the Ford racks, possibly on the bottom of one of the four mounting feet? I've never had the opportunity to inspect one in person.

The Ford racks were chrome plated. Parts of the assembly may also have been polished stainless steel.

Since that rack your dad had is gone now, I guess it really doesn't matter at this point anyway...right? If you did toss a genuine Ford accessory luggage
rack, I'd say your better off not knowing! LOL

I personally think Thunderbird's look much better without a luggage rack anyway - whether it be mounted on the roof or the decklid! Just my humble opinion.

Scott
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

In the 40+ years I have been involved with Thunderbirds, any time a roof rack or deck lid unit was found, installed, or displayed, they were always claimed as being non original and were negativity supported, ergo my comments.

The racks I had were Grey paint/plated, never were they chromed. The mount was set up to have a foot which sat in the drip valley with a flat bar "J" hook which hung over the drip trough, and had a screw style method of tensioning on to the s/s trim, in a pinch action. The legs of the feet were adjustable for various roof widths, with slots to widen or narrow them. No straps were used for mounting to the car, but there were straps to tie down your load. There were NO feet or suction cups that sat on the car roof.

I can remember them clearly, and with confidence, as we also used to mount them on the 67 fordoor Bird we had. I remember clearly how they mounted, when those clamps failed and the rack blew off the car and dumped the contents on the highway. LOL
Things we do remember in our Child years!!!!
1964 Red Convertible
TbirdIntender

Post by TbirdIntender »

Many thanks for all the interesting news and recollections, everybody. Clearly, this subject struck a nerve! I don't think the car in the ad looks very good with its rack on top--would look better on the trunk if you felt you had to have one.

I guess I do remember seeing a trunk-mount on a convertible or two, since this thread has jogged my memory. You would want to unload that thing for sure, before putting the top up or down, though.
VTCI #13000
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Hey Wally, at least now you know you discarded an old aftermarket roof rack!!!

I had to chuckle when I read about your mishap with that roof rack letting go and dumping the cargo onto the highway behind you. I'm sure your dad didn't find it too humorous at the time! I hope that wayward roof rack didn't bounce off the decklid as it parted company with your '67 Thunderbird. That would have truly added insult to injury.

Oh those childhood memories can be priceless...
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

By the way guys, this '66 Town Landau in the ad actually appears to be quite a nice survivor. Aside from several under hood modifications, the red painted wheels and that roof mounted luggage rack, it looks very much original, well preserved and unmolested. I believe the stated mileage is very likely actual. Original factory paint gets my full attention. I like the Sahara Beige paint with the white vinyl top and the Parchment with Palomino appointments interior coordinates very nicely with the exterior and it remains in great condition as well. The trunk lining is original too.
I just can't stomach that roof rack and contrary to what the seller claims, that is NOT a FoMoCo kit.
TbirdIntender

Post by TbirdIntender »

Glad you mentioned the red wheels, Scott6T6. I noticed those and thought they were odd. Whoever did it was thorough--the spare is on one too. Almost fooled my eye into thinking it was a dual-stripe white/red tire at first.

It does look to be a good example, but I can't really agree about the color. (I know, "Of tastes and colors there is no disputing," as the French say.) This one just kind of looks washed out to me. These cars were from the days when you could get colors, and I really like to see them blazing out in reds and blues and greens and emberglo. I guess this one is just too tasteful for me.
VTCI #13000