64 wiring

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

larry tappen

64 wiring

Post by larry tappen »

Calling all bird lovers:) My 64 bird had the fuse panel and the bulkhead plug on the passenger side fire wall hacked by the p.o. I put the wires back on the fuse panel ( got pic. from 64 bird shop man.) The bulkhead plug was cut out and gone by p.o. and wires were soldered together (colors match). Now my problem is with the ignition off, the heater fan, windows, work :?: I would think that is wrong. I've got the electrical books and diagrams (electrical is not my best with these old eyes) Just to let you know this bird dosn't have power seats or ac if that helps. All help thanks, Larry.
64ZCODE

Re: 64 wiring

Post by 64ZCODE »

Hey Larry. On my '64, with ignition off, the electric windows work however the blower motor does not. The car does not have AC or power seats, and the wiring appears to be stock and intact.

Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
larry tappen

Post by larry tappen »

Doug, thanks for the reply. Somehow the wire for the heater fan motor may have been put on the wrong lug on the fuse box. I'll have to recheck, thanks, Larry.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

It would appear the P.O. or someone has wired a power source into the cars wiring to enable the blower motor to run.
In regard to the Windows working with ignition off, this tells me that the window safety relay has had a wire moved, and can be reset with a little effort.
Back when the car was built or modified overtime, it was able to have the relay bypassed and was an option offered by FORD DEALERS.
Check the relay and see if the power out wire was remounted to the power in terminal. This allowed the Windows to work without the ignition on.
As you are aware, the relay is mounted on the firewall below the cowl drain tube on the passenger side, below the hood hinge. The relay was moved up to the firewall at the wiper motor between the fender braces in 65 and up.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
larry tappen

Post by larry tappen »

Raven, thanks for the reply. I checked the window safety relay and wiring with the electrical book and everything is wired correctly ::? . Now the blower motor for the heater: could the wiring for this be put on the wrong lug at the fuse panel? I'm the one who wired this as it was all apart when I bought this car . I tried to follow the book for this also :roll: Thanks again, Larry.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Larry did I send you a pick of my 64 fuse box at some point on the other forum?
If not look here. https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... =7&t=19516
Not sure if totally correct but it should be close.
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

For future reference, a continuity tester across the fuse box feeds (or fuse leads) and a good ground with the ignition key in different positions should help sort out what is what when dealing with fuse box wiring.
larry tappen

Post by larry tappen »

Stubbie, thanks, you did send that picture, I forgot :mrgreen: Does your birds heater fan run with the key off? I did read somewhere that the power windows were wired so they would operate all the time. So maybe I'll leave it for now. Also thanks JamesR for the idea of using the tester at the fuse panel. At 74 I'm not as sharp as I once was :oops: Again thanks to all, Larry.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Sorry Larry can't remember at this point and can't test as the dash is out for repairs.