Accepting tips to improve my 66 before a Concours d'Elegance

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

1966ConvGinger

Re: Accepting tips to improve my 66 before a Concours d'Elegance

Post by 1966ConvGinger »

Scott and Wally,

I am blown away by the very intricate details that are behind the details of accuracy for our Thunderbirds. I have been incorporating a lot of your suggestions. I even removed the hood hinges and had them painted with a special gray phosphate spray paint that simulates the finish. That's the best I can do with time restrictions. The brake booster is already painted in semi-gloss black paint, etc. I will buy the air cleaner decal from Ebay to be more correct. Little by little I would like to get the car closer to accuracy before the show starts on July 18th. I am sure I can cover multiple details, small and large. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me wit this project. It's been a lot of fun. My car is not perfect, but can certainly be improved. I am still waiting for the 64-66 OFS manual. Any idea how long it takes to be delivered?. I know it's a printed copy. Today I will remove the battery shut off switch and replace it with the correct ground and pos cables from Bird Nest... more to come.
1966ConvGinger

Post by 1966ConvGinger »

Will this decal for the front of the air cleaner is necessary for 1966?
Attachments
front.JPG
front.JPG (20.89 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

I have never seen an original 1966 Thunderbird with the "FRONT" decal on the air cleaner or even a hint that one was ever on there. I'm quite certain this decal was not used for the '66 Thunderbird production run.
If I were you I would leave it off.
Best of luck in the upcoming concourse event. It's always great to receive an invitation to such an event.
Concourse judges are sticklers for cleanliness. They judge the cars based on what a brand spanking new one would have looked like. Make certain EVERYTHING is clean. I can't overemphasize this.
Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Scott
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

You were asking for photos of the proper "mustard" or "yellow top" ignition coil. So I thought I'd post a few for you.
Most 1966 ignition coils received the FoMoCo stamping like the example in the first photo. This coil has a February 1966 date - the second character denoting the month is actually a "B" (February) that registered poorly in this example, it's not an "E".
Only very late production cars in '66 came with the AUTOLITE stamped version. Unless your Thunderbird has a scheduled production date near the end of May or the beginning of June, it should have the FoMoCo stamp on the ignition coil.
The ink stamping was always located near the base of the ignition coil.
If you're using a decal in place of the correct ink stamp, it should be placed near the base as seen in the second photo.
Note the positioning of the battery & distributor terminals at 5:00 & 7:00. As pointed out by redstangbob, the ignition coil in your car is not factory correct.
Reproduction yellow top coils are readily available. NOS coils can be found, but they are typically very pricey and not for the faint of heart!
Scott
Attachments
Bryan's original coil stamping b .jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
1966ConvGinger

Post by 1966ConvGinger »

Thank you very much for all your help and assistance to bring my car a little closer the how it came out of the factory in 1966. I just bought a coil reproduction and will transfer the decal to the bottom of the coil. I must tell you how appreciative I am to count on your expertise and knowledge of our flair birds. I want to make sure my Tbird represents the best of our body style. I am following your advice. Much appreciated!! Luis.
1966ConvGinger

Post by 1966ConvGinger »

What type of clamp is to be used for the brake booster hose?. Mine has the newer type of clamp but I don't think it's correct. Thank you. (See attached)
Attachments
Screenshot_20210630-015738_Gallery.jpg
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Luis, you and Scott have talked a lot since I last read.
NO there was no FRONT decal on the air cleaner body, it was only used in 64.
Scott has you covered on the Coil
The booster vac hose clamp is a style called "Corbin" or "Tansgential", depends who calls it. The unit is the style that has TWO dog ears that needs a type of plyiers to pinch to install. I see that clamp a lot on washing machine hoses. Same clamp is used on the PCV system.
Something else is the Battery OK decal which is mounted to the inner fender passenger side. White with 3 squares for Spec Gravity, Date, and Badge (inspector) near the fussible link.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
1966ConvGinger

Post by 1966ConvGinger »

Wally, are you talking about this decal?. Is it in the right place?. (See attached)
Attachments
Screenshot_20210630-072450_Gallery.jpg
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Luis, your "Battery OK" label is acceptable in that location. In 1966, it was often placed on top of the battery at the left front corner.
Here's a photo of the factory installed clamp on my '66 brake booster vacuum hose connection that Wally was describing. The OFS manual identifies these as Pinch or Keystone clamps. I've always called them "pinch clamps".
You need a special pliers designed to pinch onto that dog ear which tightens the clamp into place on the hose. This same clamp is found on both ends of this vacuum hose.
These clamps were also used on the rubber fuel lines.

Scott
Attachments
P1010042.JPG
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

By the way Luis, I noticed your PCV hose is not painted Ford Corporate Blue. When the engines were painted when new, the complete PCV assembly was in place so it all got painted. This would include the steel tubing, the fittings, both sections of rubber hose, all four Corbin clamps and the PCV valve body it self (except the lower portion of the valve that fits down into the valve cover which was protected from being painted). Take a look at mine and you can see what I'm talking about.
The valve covers were painted separately from the engine and installed later and the black rubber PCV grommet in the right valve cover was installed after painting.
If you need more help, just ask!
Scott
Attachments
P1010044.JPG
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Luis, sorry I missed it. White label on white paint. Scott is correct. Just wanted to make sure it was there or existed.
In regards to booster clamp, the one that Scott shows is correct also and named by manufacturer "OETIKER"
I have seen the other style clamp (Corban) used, and this may be a discussion piece with us Boys. LOL
Go With Scott's clamp presently as he has provided back-up proof.

Time is getting tight for the OFS delivery. Who or where did you order it?
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
1966ConvGinger

Post by 1966ConvGinger »

I ordered it on June 23rd. I will reconnect with Laura. I need to find either one of the clamps. I will use whatever I can find before the 18th. Thanks aging for all your efforts and comments. I am incorporating most of them. I will be posting pictures after the long weekend. I am heading to NYC for 4th of July. Have a wonderful weekend.
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Luis, the screw and retainer assemblies on the lower face of your left and right wheel housings (used to secure the splash shields in place) are painted white on your car. They should not be.
Those were installed at the factory AFTER the bodies were painted and therefore were not painted body color. The finish on those was "natural".
I included a photo of mine so you know what I'm referring to.
The paint you used on your hood hinges to simulate a phosphate finish would suffice for replicating a natural metal appearance on those pieces of hardware.
I recommend you spray a little of your phosphate paint into the cap of the aerosol can. Use a small artist's brush and simply paint them by hand so they look like natural steel.
Have a great holiday weekend!
Scott
Attachments
P1010046 2 copy.jpg
1966ConvGinger

Post by 1966ConvGinger »

Hello Scott and happy 4th of July, I have taken notice of all of your suggestions. This coming week is crucial to get many of your new items included in my car to comply with originality. I ordered the clamps on Ebay. Thanks for all your time.
1966ConvGinger

Post by 1966ConvGinger »

Hello team, now that I have the correct coil, which one is the equivalent of negative and positive?. Is dist the neg?. And bat. The positive?