Pulling Trans with or without bellhousing?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

AngryBirds

Pulling Trans with or without bellhousing?

Post by AngryBirds »

Almost done with my spare transmission rebuild (will post a teardown and rebuild process after completion) and wanted to know everyone's opinions on pulling the transmission out from under the car. I would rather pull with the bellhousing attached as to reach the four regular bolts would be a pita and I can reach all the bolts from the top and underneath. Planning to use a set of four 12 ton stands so I should have about 22 inches of clearance.

Any and all advice is welcome, haven't attempted an installation of a transmission from below yet only removals from the engine bay.
Current Thunderbird Projects:
1965 White Hardtop
1965 Red Convertible Project (Bodywork Stage)
joelhutchison

Re: Pulling Trans with or without bellhousing?

Post by joelhutchison »

I'm just the opposite. I've never pulled the engine trans together. As long as you're not trying to remove a Fordomatic from a '54 (my language got a little salty) It's not too bad. You can get a transmission adapter for your floor jack or buy/rent an actual tranny jack and that makes things not only easier but safer. Don't forget to unbolt the TQ converter from the flex plate. :)
OZZY Stewie

Post by OZZY Stewie »

Hi, I had a bad leak from my 64 COM and decided to pull it. Used four heavy duty jack stands on large wood blocks.
My only problem was the exhaust pipes off the manifolds would not allow the bellhousing to drop down so I moved the whole trans back as far as I could, removed torque converter, disconnected the bellhousing and removed trans. It is very heavy which you know so you will need a rolling jack. It can be done. I had the exhaust completely undone but not removed as it would have been a pain. Yes, a hoist would be better and with a trans ready to go in you could knock it over in a day.
Good luck, Stewie in OZ
1964 Ford Thunderbird Landau
And I'm living the dream!!!
AngryBirds

Post by AngryBirds »

I was planning on cutting the exhaust before the H-pipe so I could just remove the pipes and leave the rear still attached. I don't see how bad unbolting the flanged ends from the manifold would be barring any stuck bolts.
Current Thunderbird Projects:
1965 White Hardtop
1965 Red Convertible Project (Bodywork Stage)
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

If memory serves, and manifold studs are original, the flange nuts are BRASS, which should break free with a little effort.
Also consider using the wax candle method and a little heat, have had wonderful results.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible