66 Fuse Panel Breakers and Buss Bars Q

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

ChefEd57

66 Fuse Panel Breakers and Buss Bars Q

Post by ChefEd57 »

I need a little help.

Bear with me.

My oldest and I started working on the taillights of my 66. We replaced all the bulbs, and all light up, when the lights are turned on.

We replaced the sequencer module with a digital one. (We will replace all the rear sockets, once we have the sequencer working.) Started car, turned on the lights, and went through all the possible functions: left signal, right signal, brakes, reverse. Nothing changes.

The previous owner replaced the 390 (which was beyond their wallet to rebuild) with a 351M, and C6 transmission. We assume the reverse lights have not been reconnected to the transmission.

Upon inspection of the fuse panel, we discovered breakers and buss bars are missing.

First, any suggestions on vendors where I can get replacements for the breakers and buss bars? Part numbers if known. So far, I have been unable to find any at Bird nest or Mac’s. Next, troubleshooting advice. I was an aircraft electrician, over 40 years ago. I can fix an F-4 Phantom, but cars scare me. 😉

Cheers
redstangbob

Re: 66 Fuse Panel Breakers and Buss Bars Q

Post by redstangbob »

Welcome to the forum, post pictures of the car and fuse box to help us out. I can tell you now that the stop lights and turn signals have their own circuit protection, until you get power back there, you won't get much figured out. All the breakers and fuses are still available in some form, someone here probably knows right where to go. What bus bars do you think are gone? like I said a picture would help. Also do you have the fuse box cover with the paper tag stuck to it? it gives the sizes of the fuses. I have to ask, why change the sequencer if you didn't know if you had power to the bag? good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The I think the backup lights run through the neutral safety switch on the column, not the transmission.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
ChefEd57

Post by ChefEd57 »

I will share a picture soonest. My son did the visual inspection. I did not have access to the passenger side of the car, and my knees would not allow me to climb over the console and contort for the angle.

The fuse panel cover is missing. I have a shop manual, electrical assembly manual, and an owner manual for reference.

My son bought the car for me from the last owner, and took his word that the sequencer was bad. Everything else the previous owner has said about the car has been true.
ChefEd57

Post by ChefEd57 »

A response in another forum also suggested the column. That will be one of the next steps.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I put this together some time ago, maybe it can help you.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... =32&t=6708
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

The 15 Amp and 20 Amp mini circuit breakers are difficult to find, T-Bird Hdq. has the 15 & 20 Amp, will they push into the fuse box? I will find out soon about TBird Hdq's breakers, they need to fit, reason being a bus bar runs between the two(three with A/C) inside the fuse box, if not a fabrication of some sort will be needed to connect the two. CJ Poney (I think that is the name) has the 20 Amp mini thought it is listed for the Mustang Conv. Another member put that part # for the 20 Amp.as 65-PT-CB
Last edited by Rt.146 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBlendo

Post by BBlendo »

FYI REGARDING BACKUP LIGHTS on a C6 tranny the neutral safety switch / reverse. light switch is mounted on the transmission. If the car oem was a cruise o matic it was on the steering column and it may still be there but adjusting for a c6 may be obtainable but most tbird vendors will carry the c6 type. Is you go this route order a new cable to run from the tranny upto the steering column harness where the orignal was mated to a four conductor connector plug and play.
ChefEd57

Post by ChefEd57 »

This feedback has been very illuminating and helpful.

Turns out, when my son inspected the fuse panel, he missed a blown fused. Fuse replaced, signals work! Oh, the simple things...
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

The 15 AMP circuit breaker from Thunderbird Hdq., will not fit in the fuse box, it is not a mini breaker. GRAINGER Industrial Supply may have the mini 15 AMP circuit for the brake lights, choice are few where to get them, I will try GRAINGER.
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Grainger does not have mini 15 amp stud circuit breakers, it seems no one has them except a mini stud 20 amp from Poney, any one know if they still make mini circuit breakers that will fit in the 66 fuse box? them