'65 Special Limited Edition Landau Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Special65GT

'65 Special Limited Edition Landau Question

Post by Special65GT »

Hello to all!

My main curiosity is to those of you who may own, or know very well, the '65 Special Limited Edition Landau Thunderbird. My understanding is that these cars all came in Emberglo Metallic paint. This is the weird part... and I hope I don't offend anyone, but I have owned a 1965 Mustang GT with special paint since 1985. The car was ordered in Emberglo Metallic. The interior code is a 29 for Medium Palomino, however, my interior is not painted that color. Now to the point... What was the interior color on the 1965 Special Thunderbird??? I'm thinking that somehow the interior of my Mustang was painted the same color. I'm doing a complete restoration and am currently stumped on my interior color. I have heard that there is some phantom color out there that was referred to as "Light Palomino," but I'm leaning towards some kind of Parchment... or other corporate color. Thank you for your patience and any assistance you can provide.
Alan H. Tast

Re: '65 Special Limited Edition Landau Question

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Special Landau interior code is either '7D' or 'XD' (depending on whether passenger bucket seat has optional reclining back and adjustable headrest) for Parchment vinyl with Emberglo accents (carpet, dash coves, etc ).

There were a small percentage of SL's with Wimbledon White body color. All had Parchment vinyl roof.

All this and MUCH more is covered in VTCI's 1964-66 Original Factory Specifications manual. If you're restoring your car and don't know how to restore back to original this is a must-have book as it details everything from interiors to engine bay, trunk, exterior and undercarriage.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Special65GT

Post by Special65GT »

Thank you so much for your help with this one! I'll have to look into the VTCI's 1964-66 Original Factory Specifications manual as well.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Special, do understand, to purchase the OFS books, you will need to be a current paid up member of the VTCI, c/w a members number.
This FORUM is an open site but direct dealings need a membership.
We welcome you aboard.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I thought the Emberglo paint was exclusive to the 1965 T-Bird Special Landau and only became available to other Ford models in 1966.