First, a slight detail. Ginger is/was white only because someone sprayed over the factory finish with two different colors. Her original code is rose metallic which is being restored.RAVEN
Re: Resto question; rust prevention measure
Post Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:18 am
Paul, the work looks great, is this GINGER you are working on?
I have a question in regards to the painted surfaces on the car. Specifically the front facing panel area on either side of the front rad support, the slotted section and the panel which the voltage reg is screwed to.
These two FRONT facing panels also have the headlight pods mounted to.
My question; when you were stripping the paint and cleaning these panels, and since GINGER was originally a 64 MY White car, did you find these panels to be sprayed with a Black over spray, like the lower rad frame, per the Osborne MANUALS for blacked out areas?
There is an ongoing discussion, about these areas, with no complete answer. An associate of mine says that these areas were blacked out also, and reportedly has a notice letter telling so. (He has a vast library of FORD archived material from the old Ford Canadian Headquarters when it was torn down, only thing is he can not find that letter currently) It is reported that these panels got a Black coating to make them disappear when you looked through the grille, especially on light coloured cars.
My question is what you found, Blacked out or not. It would be a benefit to know what you found to help keep the discussion open and continue with the information stream. Currently it is an active topic with some of us members, and any info found is appreciated.
I am in the process of taking all this paint off down to bare metal throughout the car. You are right. The front face below the apron had a thin black layer. But first the car was painted body color (rose-beige metallic) underneath. I’m afraid I don’t have any pictures of that. I was focused on cleaning and degreasing followed by paint removal.
The thing I noticed was the black was a very weak coat. The degreaser I used made it just run right down after soaking a few minutes. It was not durable like the lacquer used for body color.
The most specific irregularity was the underside of the apron (where the horns are mounted, the hood latch, etc.) was sprayed black and that seemed to be all. No red oxide primer, no body lacquer. And the black spray wasn’t enough protection because that area was the only place in the entire engine bay I had surface rust to repair. Even my battery tray was better than that!