Squeaking

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Drbill

Squeaking

Post by Drbill »

Hi fellow T-Bird enthusiasts,
I’ve got a god-awful squeal from my front suspension, mostly from the right side since replacing the shocks. I’ve triple checked the bushings to be sure I have everything positioned properly. Not sure where to go from here...,,
64ZCODE

Re: Squeaking

Post by 64ZCODE »

Hi DrBill. To me, squeaking is not the same as squealing. Which is it? Is it a contact squeal as the car goes down the road or squeaking as the suspension compresses and moves?
1964 TBird Hardtop
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

DrBill, welcome to the FORUM. As 64Z states, the sound you hear can indicate the problem, and/or indicate the area of concern.
My very first question would be; when you bounce the front end, do you have a sound of a "groan/low base grunt?
Next question is; when was the shocks replaced?
Third question; Do you get a situation of "Bump Steer" as you go down the road and hit a pot hole/curb drain grate/ rough road bump?

Pls understand, everyone says they have checked the front end and they say their control arm bushings are fine. This I question.

Forth question, do you know if you have the original Upper bushings or replacements? A way to tell is; do the upper pivots have grease fittings or not. To help diagnose your situation that info is required.

Something people do not realize, and feel that the upper bushings are OK, is the fact that the coil spring has so much kinetic energy, that a service tech is unable to verify the condition of the so said bushings, without unloading the spring tension, to check. The normal way is to place a bar at the lower arm and see if there is any upper shaft flex. The spring is so strong, the Tech is unable to make the upper arm move to check. Many would disagree, but trust me, I have seen this happen.
As a matter of fact, the current car I am working on, reportly had a new front end rebuild carried out, with ALL new parts, and only has about 10,000 miles since the work was done, but was done 25 odd years ago. In the process of a restoration, it was found the upper bushings and shaft were never changed. NO grease fittings! The owner was scammed! The upper arms bushings and shafts were original, and were an accident waiting to happen. The wear was so bad that the upper bushings had no pivot threads left and only were tapered stubs.

Not saying you have this condition but a low groan/grunt, bump steer situation from my experience is indicative of this problem.

Pls let us know what you find, it helps others, in like situations.

W
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Drbill

Post by Drbill »

Totally hear what you are saying. Car does have original upper control arm bushings. The thing is, this did not start until replaced the shocks about 2 months ago. My next step is gonna be to remove the shocks and see if still have the noise. I did spray some lube all over the UCA bushings.
And to answer your question about bump steer: none of that or any clunking. Just an annoying squeak.
Thanks,
Bill
Drbill

Post by Drbill »

It’s more a squeak from the suspension going up and down rather than a squeal or screeching sound.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Sorry to say, but spraying lube (eg WD40) or any like lub is like using a fire extingisher on a forest fire. When the upper bushing show failure, or problems, you are already well past the oil to quiet things. When the bushings show failure, it is like having a 1/4 drill bit in a 1 inch hole, there is a large amount of play or slop. Oil will do little or nothing to solve the issue, it may quiet the issue but that will only be very short lived.
Please do not take my negativity as an issue, I only want to give you a thought. I have seen many upper arm bushings and have realized and associated the indicative groin/grunt/squeak with the typical failure/warn out parts. It is a metal to metal grinding sound you hear, forcefully applied by the strength of the pressure of the coil spring.
By removing the shocks you may isolate the upper arm, as the shocks are adding a resistance to the arm's movement, but may not be indicitive to the issue. In my opinion, the only way to feel the wear in the upper bushings is to remove the spring tension.
I am only one to comment on this subject, others may have a different thought. That is the great thing of this FORUM, many have experienced issues and have added their thoughts, in the end; problems are solved.
1964 Red Convertible
paulr

Post by paulr »

Hey there, welcome.
Maybe I missed something, apologies. What year is your Tbird? I have a thought.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Drbill

Post by Drbill »

Thanks for the replies, guys! I totally get what is being said about the UCA bushings. The thing is, I never had any noise until I replaced the shocks. This is a CA car, 42k original miles, 1966 Hardtop.
I used the spray lube just to see if I could quiet the noise temporarily to see if I could isolate the sound. Spraying the lower mounts for the shocks seems to have worked, at least temporarily. I took my bird out this morning and she’s quiet from the suspension.
As for the springs, I see some sort of rubber gasket or isolator at the bottom. I wonder if that is worn out if that could create some noise??

Bill
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

There are rubber boots/isolators on both ends of the springs, which are a molded item and fit the spring pockets in the UCA and shock tower. Yes they can be in poor condition, but doubt that is the issue. Not much room for the springs to move, as they fit in pockets.
Drive the car, enjoy it, and see if the sound comes back in time, just be aware of the situation and monitor when the sound occurs.
1964 Red Convertible
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Hi there Drbill. I suppose you could have defective front shocks but that seems unlikely since they are new. I was thinking about one other possibility. The bottom of the shock is connected to the shock mounting bracket with a bolt that passes through a yoke. When I replaced my front shocks I also replaced the shock mounting brackets. The space between the ears of the yokes on the new brackets was too narrow for the bottoms of the shocks, which have rubber bushings, to fit into, and I had to physically spread the ears. So the possibility is that this connection point is binding on your car and causing the squeaking. That it quiets down when you spray lubricant on the bottom mount may support this.

Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

The 65 T-Bird has a grease fitting in the upper part of the assembly, only Henry Ford and a few others knew about it, it is there and very often missed because of its location. Maybe the same for the 64 and 66.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Rt.146 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:21 pm The 65 T-Bird has a grease fitting in the upper part of the assembly, only Henry Ford and a few others knew about it, it is there and very often missed because of its location. Maybe the same for the 64 and 66.
This was the reason I asked the model year. The grease fittings are on both ends of the upper control arm shaft bushings. Service those and see if you get an improvement.(64MY cars don’t have em unless new shafts have been retrofitted.). If you service the bushings and the squeak doesn’t go away, two things. 1) it’s something else. 2) the old shaft threads are really shot and you’re due for replacement. The second thing you’d wanna do sooner not later.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

The 65 T-Bird has a grease fitting in the upper part of the assembly
Mine doesn't. how does anyone know what's been done over the last 55 years.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

Moderator 64-66 Forum
65 hardtop
paulr

Post by paulr »

Gosh,Bob, I feel awful if you got a factory second. ;-)

Typing too fast, I meant to address the OP’s question about a 66MY not 65 anyway and, maybe I was told wrong that’s not a standard feature on those years? Hope he’s solving the issue all the same.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

:lol: Paul my point is we often make statements that we probably shouldn't make. Each year has differences, and running changes were made during production, so when we advise someone new we should be sure of our facts. I suspect this noise is the upper arm, because of the front spring they weren't replaced unless it was absolutely necessary. If the shocks really are the culprit, that's an easy test and fix. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

Moderator 64-66 Forum
65 hardtop