1966 ac question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sleeper bird

1966 ac question

Post by sleeper bird »

being that iv been home lately decided to do some ac work,changing the suction hose and dryer.When i received the dryer from the birds nest it had two o rings,this is throwing me off because the connections to the condenser and the hose are a flair type of connection.Surely your not suppose to use the o'rings on the flair fitting.
Cliff Rankin

Re: 1966 ac question

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I do AC work. But very little on original AC for our birds
Could you please post a picture? I would like to see that.
Thanks
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
paulr

Post by paulr »

sleeper bird wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:14 am being that iv been home lately decided to do some ac work,changing the suction hose and dryer.When i received the dryer from the birds nest it had two o rings,this is throwing me off because the connections to the condenser and the hose are a flair type of connection.Surely your not suppose to use the o'rings on the flair fitting.
These dryers are all made in China or Mexico. They throw O-rings in the box with everything. Of course they are for your o-ring collection. Your instinct is correct.

BTW, the dryer is a disposable filter-dessicant element basically. They are all being made from one template. The cheap ones on auction sites are exactly the same as high priced ones at "authentic" sites. Sorry to tell you this a bit late.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

yea i assumed it was a china part,honestly from now on i'm going to be happy to see hecho in mexico with whats going on today.I digress, i kinda figured that the o rings were just thrown in the box.Thanks as usual for the clarification i was caught off guard by the bag with o rings in it.
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

does anyone know the amount of r134a is needed for a full charge,and should the compressor oil be the same amount as stated in the service manual 7/8 inch?I decided to replace the compressor.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

If your new compressor is the original 2-piston type (York or Tecumseh) then make sure to fill the crankcase with POE or PAG (compatible with R134a) to the same level as given in the original instructions. Furthermore, you should add 2-3 ounces of POE or PAG oil to the refrigerant when charging.

The original mineral oil is not compatible with R134a, so it all must be removed. Also the R/D bottle should be changed.

Newer compressors (like Sanden) do not have a crankcase, so all the oil must be mixed with the refrigerant
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
tbird

Post by tbird »

If you purchase a new or rebuilt compressor it should have a bottle with the correct type and amount of oil with it, there should be no need to add oil for the refrigerant. The oil circulate with the refrigerant while the system is operating.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

i did buy a rebuilt york style compressor,there was no oil with it.After bringing it to my attention the 134a i purchased does have oil in it ,so iv got the wrong freon correct?Thanks for the replys guys
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

correction upon further looking it does have the oil in the compressor,im still wondering if after a vacuum is done and i'm going to recharge if the freon should have oil or not?i just want to confirm.
tbird

Post by tbird »

If the compressor has the oil already in it their should be enough for a typical automotive system. Having excessive oil in a system can damage the compressor internals such as valves and even bend a connecting rod. A small amount of the oil will be carried around the system with the refrigerant which leaves the compressor as a hot gas then is turned back to liquid by the condenser, passes through the drier and through the expansion valve into the evaporator as a cold vapour which should be almost totally vaporized as it exits back to the compressor.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
paulr

Post by paulr »

Pay attention to tbirds comments above; I'll second them. If your new compressor had oil installed, do not add anymore. If you're recharging the system yourself I hope you're using a gauge set to monitor the proper pressures as you do this. Some of the refrigerant cans they sell have a discharge gauge on the can so you can at least see how much one can is discharging. Overcharging the system is a mistake to avoid. I assume since you're switching the r12 system to r134 you already have changed the service valves to the right type for that.

Charging a system from empty is something I would recommend most people allow a professional AC shop do. If you're doing it yourself you should be taking steps to check for leaks as well as monitoring your charge. It's not the same as filling the gas tank.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

i do have a gauge set and a vacuum pump as well,i did install the retrofit service connections,
paulr

Post by paulr »

sleeper bird wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:25 pm i do have a gauge set and a vacuum pump as well,i did install the retrofit service connections,
You’ll do ok 👍🏻
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

in the service manual it states full charge 2.5 pounds does that figure stay the same with 134a?
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

R134a charge is about 80% or R-12, so 2 pounds should be about right.
Terry
64HT