Anti freeze leak

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Richard

Anti freeze leak

Post by Richard »

Just checked my fluids for first time this season and noticed the anti freeze just a little low.. So got on my back and looked under car and I see a very small amount of anti freeze under car. Because of the way I have my Tbird in garage I cant crawl under from drivers side because garage wall is on that side..So when crawling from front I cant get underneath that far back to see where it is coming from..
I would say the leak is on drivers side about half way back from front of engine. Did not want to take out today without having my mechanic ready to put on lift to see where leak is coming from..Anyone have any ideas? Thanks all..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
sseebart

Re: Anti freeze leak

Post by sseebart »

Unless you've got something seriously wrong, like a cracked block, it's unlikely the leak is near where you found the puddle. I'd start with checking the hoses, especially the lower radiator hose. I'd run it up to operating temperatures, let it cool some then look and feel around the hose connections for the leak.

~Steve
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I beg to differ Steve.

I've had a coolant leak in that area and it was a freeze plug that had rusted through from the inside. The middle one is behind the motor mount, so it can be tricky. Spend the extra money and use brass plugs.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Ah, good point. I forgot about the freeze plugs. I stand corrected!
Richard

Post by Richard »

sseebart wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:20 pm Unless you've got something seriously wrong, like a cracked block, it's unlikely the leak is near where you found the puddle. I'd start with checking the hoses, especially the lower radiator hose. I'd run it up to operating temperatures, let it cool some then look and feel around the hose connections for the leak.

~Steve
I will try that Steve in the next week or so and get back with results..I hope its as simple as a hose.. My garage floor slopes down a little so it could be that..Thanks..
VTCI#12157
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

If you have a difficulty finding where the leak may be, try adding a phosphorus dye to the coolant and run the engine to mix with anti-freeze. then scope the engine with a black light. A small leak will glow and track back to the problem area. FWTW IMHO.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Richard

Post by Richard »

jtschug wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:37 pm I beg to differ Steve.

I've had a coolant leak in that area and it was a freeze plug that had rusted through from the inside. The middle one is behind the motor mount, so it can be tricky. Spend the extra money and use brass plugs.
I now see a Petcock similar to the radiator petcock in the general area, could that be it? But hard to tell if that is were the leak is from..I will get it on a lift in the next week or so..Thanks
VTCI#12157
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Yes, my car has a pipe plug below the freeze plug in that area that connects to the water jacket and could have a petcock installed. That could also be a leak source.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
georgemii

Post by georgemii »

This winter I found a small leak from petcock in block - RH side of 65 hardtop. Replaced with 1/8” pipe plug; all dry now. Good luck.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Found my anti freeze leak..It is the rear drivers side freeze plug ..Luckily not the one over the motor mount..It is above the exhaust pipe coming from the manifold so there is a little room..But not enough room for me to do on my back so will bring to my mechanic when all this crazy stuff is over..
It looks like it is brass so I suspect it has been changed before..
Anyone know the size freeze plug? Thanks..
VTCI#12157
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

copied from the FE forum "The correct size FE core Plugs (AKA common name - Freeze Plugs) is 1 49/64" inches. The FPP P/N = 3549. They are marked EPC106. The rear plug is marked PC 92. " The rear plug they refer to is the cam tunnel plug. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Richard

Post by Richard »

redstangbob wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:33 pm
copied from the FE forum "The correct size FE core Plugs (AKA common name - Freeze Plugs) is 1 49/64" inches. The FPP P/N = 3549. They are marked EPC106. The rear plug is marked PC 92. " The rear plug they refer to is the cam tunnel plug. JMO Bob C
Thanks Bob..Will report back...
I was thinking I might try a little hit with a drift pin in the spot its leaking and see if I can seal the small leak..The plug in there is brass so its been replaced by a PO and being brass should have a little give..Thats if I can get enough room to do it..What do you think Bob? Is it worth a try? Thanks..
VTCI#12157
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Richard wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm I might try a little hit with a drift pin in the spot its leaking and see if I can seal the small leak.
I would definitely have a big bucket handy when attempting this.

~Steve
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

What do you think Bob? Is it worth a try?
I wouldn't bother, I've never seen one heal up. Be sure to drain the block before you knock it out, they'll be a petcock on one side and a pipe plug in the other to drain. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Richard

Post by Richard »

redstangbob wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:46 pm
What do you think Bob? Is it worth a try?
I wouldn't bother, I've never seen one heal up. Be sure to drain the block before you knock it out, they'll be a petcock on one side and a pipe plug in the other to drain. good luck, Bob C
Thanks again Bob..Will get to the local parts store and mechanic when all this crazy stuff is over and get it replaced..Took Tbird out for a few mile drive and now leak has stopped,I guess because it got warmed up..Will change soon and post back when done..
VTCI#12157