Exhaust "H" pipe available?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

JamesR

Exhaust "H" pipe available?

Post by JamesR »

When I bought my driving project '65 Thunderbird last year, I had it up on a lift a couple of times - pre and post purchase - and it looked like most of the exhaust components had been replaced in the not too distant past. Both mufflers and both main exhaust pipes maintain most of their newish "silvery" finish with only small spots of surface rust showing. Nevertheless, the exhaust note is awful because because the H pipe (what I used to call head pipes on cars) is obviously not new and is perforated with small pinholes from rust. BTW, my system does not have resonators on it.

Because most of the system is new, I'd like to replace only the H pipe, but I can't find any available, and the exhaust shop I had put the car up on a lift after I bought it could find none in the company wide inventory. There also seem to be none online. I can find complete systems online - both with and without resonators - but no H pipe.

I'm wondering if you know of any sources for the H pipe? There's a place locally that might be able to help me out by custom bending/welding a pipe, but I thought I'd check with you all to see if there was an off-the-shelf part available. Thanks.
bbogue

Re: Exhaust "H" pipe available?

Post by bbogue »

Pat Wilson’s lists the 64-66 H-pipe for $150. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Waldrons offers the entire system or just parts like the H pipe. The offer stainless steel if you want.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Thanks to both of you guys. I ordered the H pipe from Pat Wilson's, along with the donut gaskets and clamps.

I have a non-original engine, but the manifold number and configuration revealed that the manifolds were from a 66, T-Bird, so the H pipe they sell will work...all stuff I didn't know until I talked to Pat Wilson's. This reinforces my tendency to "call and ask" before ordering a part. (Unless it's from Mac's, because they often have non-car people on the phones.)