NSS 1966 C6

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

DakotaLee

NSS 1966 C6

Post by DakotaLee »

I have a C6 in my '66 with the NSS on the trans. I noticed recently when under the dash, that I have also have the CoM NSS on the column, with vacuum lines going to the E-brake. It broke off just by touching it- should it be replaced? I noticed some play in the shift lever since that happened, which was reason enough for me. Just wondering if this has an actual purpose on a C6 car?
'66 Town Hardtop
SoCal
RedBird64

Re: NSS 1966 C6

Post by RedBird64 »

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure someone else here does.
OTOH, if you don't fix it, you'll want to plug that line. Otherwise you have a vacuum leak.
Were there any wires going to the COM NSS? If not then that's probably all it's there for.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The NSS on the column does the parking brake release. It can not cause slop in the column, it just isn't physically possible.

The originals are better than the reproductions, so if it works, I would not replace it. I assume that it was the vacuum line that broke off, just replace the rubber line and keep the switch
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
DakotaLee

Post by DakotaLee »

jtschug wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 am The NSS on the column does the parking brake release. It can not cause slop in the column, it just isn't physically possible.

The originals are better than the reproductions, so if it works, I would not replace it. I assume that it was the vacuum line that broke off, just replace the rubber line and keep the switch
Interesting. Must just be a coincidence. I guess I'll have a weekend with the linkage to see. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the original switch, the whole thing just disintegrated. As with most things I touch on this car.
'66 Town Hardtop
SoCal
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Along with all the parts at the top of the colum that wear out and make the shifter sloppy, there's a bushing at the bottom in the eng compartment that's critical. It's between the outer steering colum and the shift tube and if it hasn't ever been replaced, it needs it. The material they used just didn't hold up and without it, the shift tube just flops around down there.

Here's mine, old and new:

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.