Heater core, new or re-core?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RedBird64

Heater core, new or re-core?

Post by RedBird64 »

Hey, that rhymes!
I plan on replacing my heater core this winter (if I can get all my other projects done) and I'm torn between buying one from someplace like The Bird Nest and just having mine re-cored. I have no idea what the quality of new parts is or where they're made. I know Spectre doesn't make them and they're one of the few manufacturers I would trust.
Cost aside what do you think is best?
Any insight is appreciated.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
stubbie

Re: Heater core, new or re-core?

Post by stubbie »

Scott I had mine remade used the old tank and frame and a new core. It wasn't cheap I think about $350 but I think the guy saw me coming and added $100 just because he could. The core is the best money can buy apparently.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

If you find a shop you trust, I would do a recore.

A local shop knows that if it leaks, you will be an angry customer in their office. The "new" cores come from overseas. I've got no idea about the quality. I would only consider them if I couldn't find a good local shop.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
paulr

Post by paulr »

Scott, Performance Radiator in SODO did mine about 4 years ago. Nice shop to work with, fwiw. I think it was about $200, but I really can’t remember.

I’ve also had them recore my AC condenser and some other stuff. Good shop (they actually send their auto stuff to their Tacoma shop).
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks gents, I was actually thinking of Greenwood Radiator (in Northgate) which were the guys that did my rad. Getting the heaviest, thickest or what ever, so that it never has to be touched again is my goal.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

RedBird64 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:52 pm Thanks gents, I was actually thinking of Greenwood Radiator (in Northgate) which were the guys that did my rad. Getting the heaviest, thickest or what ever, so that it never has to be touched again is my goal.

Scott
That would be a lot closer to you. Good tip to have. I’ve enjoyed living not to far from the industrial past of the town as long as it’s lasted. Slowly, it’s getting swallowed by tech and developers; city’s going to heck 🤦‍♂️
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

There is a radiator shop in RI, that will sell a new copper heater core made in USA, $150.00. Central Auto Radiator.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Rt.146 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am There is a radiator shop in RI, that will sell a new copper heater core made in USA, $150.00. Central Auto Radiator.
Thanks RT!

Scott