brake booster check valve

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

JimB66thunderbird

brake booster check valve

Post by JimB66thunderbird »

I have a 1966 hardtop with disk brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear. My question is should the brake booster check valve have one or two nipples? If two where should they be connected? Thank you.
RedBird64

Re: brake booster check valve

Post by RedBird64 »

If it has two, one goes to vacuum at the intake manifold and the other is a smaller line that goes down to the transmission modulator.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
losendos

Post by losendos »

On my 1966. the smaller nipple is capped off. Why, I don't know, but it looks like it's meant to be that way.
-Patrick
1966 Town Hardtop
VTCI #12691
Past Birds: 1986 Turbo Coupe 5-speed, 1965 Convertible
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

losendos wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:59 pm On my 1966. the smaller nipple is capped off. Why, I don't know, but it looks like it's meant to be that way.
Is the modulator supplied by another line?
If your missing the the connection to it you will have very hard, slightly delayed shifts but that's about it. A little hard on the diff and U-joints but actually easier on the trans itself. It just isn't as refined feeling when it shifts.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
losendos

Post by losendos »

Hmm, I always thought the car shifted nicely - firm and quick shifts. I've actually wondered if it has a shift kit installed,

Where is the transmission modulator located?
-Patrick
1966 Town Hardtop
VTCI #12691
Past Birds: 1986 Turbo Coupe 5-speed, 1965 Convertible
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

It's on the Dr. side of the trans down low if you have a COM. It's on the pass. side, below the tail housing and behind the pan on a C6.
You should see a small vacuum line heading down in that direction from the Dr. side of the eng bay. It will connect to rigid section of metal line that snakes down to the Modulator. The modulator is connected by a short section of rubber hose at the other end of the metal line.
I've found that the shift from 1st to 2nd is most telling when the line is missing. If you're going very slow underlight throttle, like through a neighborhood, it will be very harsh when it shifts.

S
JimB66thunderbird

Post by JimB66thunderbird »

Thanks to all who responded about the booster check valve. Since I have not had any problems I will not make any changes. The smaller valve on mine is capped off and I will leave it as is.
Mike Tbird

Post by Mike Tbird »

I have a 66. Smaller port on brake booster check valve has always been capped. Before and after a transmission rebuild. Transmission shifts very smoothly.
If it's not broke...... .
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Mike Tbird wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:17 pm I have a 66. Smaller port on brake booster check valve has always been capped. Before and after a transmission rebuild. Transmission shifts very smoothly.
If it's not broke...... .
My guess is you modulator is connected to eng vacuum somewhere else. Otherwise it would shift hard into second (unless the trans is worn out and just can't do that anymore..). There's nothing special about the vacuum port at the check valve. It was just handy for Ford.