seat belts

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Richard

seat belts

Post by Richard »

Drivng with the wife on the weekend she commented how unsafe she felt without a shoulder harness..I told her that it has a padded dash for safety,she didnt buy it!!!
I see to install a 3 point seat belt you have to mess with the headliner. The other option I see is a 4 point belt. It looks a little easier to install, drilling holes in the floor behind the seats for the extra mounting points ..Anyone have experience with the 4 point setup? Thanks..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
Rt.146

Re: seat belts

Post by Rt.146 »

I have a Landau I would just need to remove the back upper panels (sails) to install shoulder harnesses, not the headliner at all. Ford's push button seat belts at least what I have seen in mine have a flaw, which could trap the occupant, latch belts or the shoulder harness a better idea.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Seat belts are generally mounted with a sturdy bolt to a reinforced element in the unibody. Any three-point harness attached to the roof structure of a flairbird would be decorative only.

Many, many years ago I installed a four-point racing harness in one of my cars. Back in the day, I just drilled holes in the floor, used some fender washers and called it good. Fortunately, my system was never tested. Chances are, the bolts would have torn right through the thin sheet metal under the force of a significant impact.

Something robust could likely be engineered, but you'll never really know how it will respond in an actual accident. As for me, I rely on the stock belts and defensive driving.

~Steve
paulr

Post by paulr »

sseebart wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:28 am Something robust could likely be engineered, but you'll never really know how it will respond in an actual accident. As for me, I rely on the stock belts and defensive driving.

~Steve
Second that and add that I treat my brake and steering/suspension systems like beloved children.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Richard

Post by Richard »

sseebart wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:28 am Seat belts are generally mounted with a sturdy bolt to a reinforced element in the unibody. Any three-point harness attached to the roof structure of a flairbird would be decorative only.

Many, many years ago I installed a four-point racing harness in one of my cars. Back in the day, I just drilled holes in the floor, used some fender washers and called it good. Fortunately, my system was never tested. Chances are, the bolts would have torn right through the thin sheet metal under the force of a significant impact.

Something robust could likely be engineered, but you'll never really know how it will respond in an actual accident. As for me, I rely on the stock belts and defensive driving.

~Steve
On one of the boats I had (now no boat just a Land Yacht aka Tbird) I made backing plates out of 1/4 inch alum. for some chocks I installed for anchor lines and such..Held up real well especially with the force of all the tension an anchor line has to take..Still I will leave the belts the way they are and just watch out for all the crazy drivers ..Funny the guys at the marina after seeing what I did wanted to hire me to do hardware installation..I stuck to my regular job of building sets for movies and TV..Retired now .. Thanks..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157