coil spring compressor

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dan42

coil spring compressor

Post by dan42 »

Needing to do front end rebuild on my 64 conv. Has anyone used the OTC 7045B compressor to do this. Know the moog tool is the proper go to for this but I understand it is no longer produced. Thanks for comments.
'64 conv. black on black red interior
64 hardtop parts car
'94 lx 4.6
VTCI # 12001
sseebart

Re: coil spring compressor

Post by sseebart »

I didn't use this exact one, but something similar. It was a very difficult process. The compression plates were difficult to fit into the coils and even when fully compressed with this tool, it was difficult to remove the spring from the car. Also, the tool didn't have enough length the decompress the spring fully. I had to leave it compressed, a little like a live grenade in the shop with me, while I did the suspension work.

I finally bought a used Moog compressor, then re-sold it when I was done. If you can't find one for sale*, you might be able to find a club member, or perhaps even a local shop, that will lend or rent you one. It's the best way to go.

~Steve

*Edit: there are two on eBay at the moment. One may even be the one I had!
RedBird64

Re: coil spring compressor

Post by RedBird64 »

I borrowed Steve's spring tool when he had it. There are other, "universal" compressors (I even bought one but chickened out on using it) but the Moog did the job easily and most importantly, safely.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.