repairing non working instrument guages

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

emo666

repairing non working instrument guages

Post by emo666 »

Trying get my gauges working properly --was reading in my shop manual that one cause of malfunction is the "radio suppresser " mounted near the alternator regulator . Is this absolutely required ( I don't have one installed) to get the guages working --or--is it only when one malfunctions that it causes gauges faults.
RedBird64

Re: repairing non working instrument guages

Post by RedBird64 »

No, they should work without it. When running there may be some issues with RF noise but with it missing it will not keep them from working but their readings may be slighlty erratic.
If you have a newer, electronic style Vreg, you probably don't need it at all.

Is the constant voltage regulator (CVR) working? if all gauges are dead (except the ammeter) that would be my first thing to look at. This insideous little device is screwed to the back of the speedometer. It requires cursing and bloody knuckles to replace.
I would measure it at the water temp sensor - it's the easiest way to get to that voltage. S/B a little over 5V.

If dead, you can get a newer, electronic part that is far superior.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
emo666

Post by emo666 »

My temp and oil pressure gauge don't work at all but my gas gauge(most important) reads half all the time- my amp meter works also but thats not on that same circuit. Will check wires at temp.
tbird

Post by tbird »

If you remove and ground the temperature sender wire at the sender to a good ground the dash gauge should read full if everything is working. Same applies to gas and temperature gauge, if they do not the sender is likely bad,
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars