Missing BOLTS from Rear Transmission bracket into COM

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

rjm32792

Missing BOLTS from Rear Transmission bracket into COM

Post by rjm32792 »

Went to drive my 1964 Thunderbird with the COM transmission and a racket was heard and felt from underneath and inside the tunnel. Jacked up the bird and the 2 BOLTS into the COM transmission bottom, through the Rear Transmission cross member mount bracket are missing. The noise was the U joint hitting against the inside of the tunnel, nothing looks damage, but I need the BOLT size, Length, and thread that goes into this location. Fords part number for the BOLTS are *** 371617-S (XX-149) and washer 34809-S (X-68)***. This is a ONE YEAR ONLY set up found in 1961 to 1966 Illustrations Manual

I have contacted Larrys, and a Tbird pull a part person and NO one has any or the specs.

Thanks for your HELP!!!
Last edited by rjm32792 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
VTCI# 11612
My Grandfathers, Bought NEW 1964 Diamond Blue 2DHT Thunderbird
jtschug

Re: Missing BOLTS from Rear Transmission bracket into COM

Post by jtschug »

AMK Products sells a decoder book for Ford fastener part numbers. I have it at home. I will see if those are in there.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
rjm32792

Post by rjm32792 »

I was able to resolve the missing bolts by looking up in AMK products mentioned above website, the FORD part # 20432-S and 371617-S and determined they were 7/16 x 14 bolts. I bought (2) 11/2 inch grade 8 bolts a fitting split washer and a nylon locked washer. On the drivers side, we drove the bolt from the BOTTOM with split washer and loctite through the threaded ear of the COM transmission, NO room for nylon locked washer on this side. On the riders side we started the bolt from the TOP with a flat washer between bolt head and ear of the COM transmission, and through to the bottom with another flat washer and a locking nut securing it. NOW if anything happens, at least there will be something holding the COM transmission to the Engine Transmission support bracket.
Robert
VTCI# 11612
My Grandfathers, Bought NEW 1964 Diamond Blue 2DHT Thunderbird
paulr

Post by paulr »

Diamond blue is not around much anymore; one of the less frequent colors and one of my favorites. Would love to see a pic of your grandfather’s car.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson