replace alternator belt

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

JimB66thunderbird

replace alternator belt

Post by JimB66thunderbird »

I finally got the stuck bolt off the alternator and I am replacing the belt. How do I do that? I am afraid of the answer I think.
RedBird64

Re: replace alternator belt

Post by RedBird64 »

Not hard really. You need a pry bar to apply some tension by moving the alt outward. Then tighten down the bottom bolt on the alt. At that point you can release tension and tighten the top bolt. You should be able to move the straight portion of the belt up and down about 1/2". If not, it's too tight.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I like to use a piece of 2x2 or similar for leverage to tighten belts--you can make it as long as you like and the wood is unlikely to damage anything (or mar paint).

~Steve
JimB66thunderbird

Post by JimB66thunderbird »

Thanks for the replies. The old belt was worn so I need to replace the belt itself not just adjust the tension. My problem is getting the new alternator belt past the power steering pump belt and onto the alternator pulley. Do I need to remove the power steering belt to get the alternator belt on?
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Yes, you must remove the P/S belt to get the alternator belt on.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Thunderbird904

Post by Thunderbird904 »

I'm new to the forum and found this thread. I have a 1966 thunderbird with the 390 I've inherited from my dad. The alternator belt broke the other day. I ordered a new alternator and belt from rock auto. I thought ok this should be simple. Replacing the alternator wasn't hard at all. But i cannot figure out for the life of me how to get around the other belts to install the alternator belt. How do I remove the power steering belt? Is there a tensioner I'm not seeing??
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

If it’s an a/c car and the same as my 64 loosen up the PS bolts at the water pump. I have replaced belts on a 66.
But I’m just going off the cuff , looking at my phone , for a quick answer for you.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Lee Craner

Post by Lee Craner »

If I recall correctly, there is a third bolt behind the PS pump that has to be removed.
Lee
1965 Red Thunderbird Convertible
1973 Intermeccanica Squire SS-100
1956 Continental Mark II
Thunderbird904

Post by Thunderbird904 »

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had a chance to mess with it. I'll get under the hood this week and check that out. Thanks.
DakotaLee

Post by DakotaLee »

Lee Craner wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:31 pm If I recall correctly, there is a third bolt behind the PS pump that has to be removed.
What size is this bolt? I normally would just go check, but that hole is stripped and in need of a tap. Same as the rest of the PS bolt holes?
'66 Town Hardtop
SoCal
Lee Craner

Post by Lee Craner »

I don't recall and it is a bitch to get to. It's been awhile since I've been back there behind the pump.
Lee
1965 Red Thunderbird Convertible
1973 Intermeccanica Squire SS-100
1956 Continental Mark II