Rear power window 64

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Golfin2001

Rear power window 64

Post by Golfin2001 »

How do you remove the motor for the rear windows?? I took the entire assembly out of the car and I thought the two sides came apart but it looks like it has divits to keep it together.. please help
stubbie

Re: Rear power window 64

Post by stubbie »

From memory you undo the 3 bolts from the motor and pull it out, arms attached through the bottom of the box. Take note how you take it out and replace it the same way.
Golfin2001

Post by Golfin2001 »

So there s 4 bolts..lol I ended up taking the whole thing apart
Golfin2001

Post by Golfin2001 »

got It! And will make video when I replace the other side
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Sorry been a while since I took mine out.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Putting it back together can be a real bear, since you usually have to rotate the mechanism to get into the center gear when doing a repair or gear replacement. I found that I often had to bump the motor a bit to get things lined up so that the motor was on the right angle to slide back into the housing. I've either put it on the floor of the back seat and used the existing wiring and switch or done it outside by using a patch cable from the battery. I've also had to leave the removable track unbolted (or very loose) to get the mechanism back into the opening at the bottom of the housing.
Terry
64HT
darry172002

Post by darry172002 »

Someone please post a video! I can't get the darn rear window back together on my 64.
SBurney

Post by SBurney »

Here are some photos that I hope may help you. Also, there’s an article in the tech section on how to modify a computer power supply to work on the car. I added a switch to one I built specifically for the purpose of bumping the motor into the correct position for installation. If the motor’s in the wrong position you’ll never get the rollers lined up in the tracks.

Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708
SBurney

Post by SBurney »

Did you get it? If not, I went back to look at my notes for more help.
The motor/regulator and the window go in as 2 separate pieces. To install the motor, have the assembly in the ‘down’ position and insert the motor into the window housing making sure to start the roller in the channel. Tighten down the motor bolts, slide the window in from the bottom, then fasten the regulator to the window (the pivot and clip are shown in the 6th photo above).

As long as it’s disassembled, remove the roller guides and lube them with a little grease. Lightly lube the tracks, and spray some DuPont Teflon/silicone in the window guide channels (the felt part). It will make the window operate much better.
Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708