3F Steering Pump Noise

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Kellyr073

Re: 3F Steering Pump Noise

Post by Kellyr073 »

RedBird64 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 am Have you checked to see if the filter inthe housing is clogged or even collapsed? Most dont know it's even in there (I found it be accident) and it rarely gets changed.
I’m re-quoting mr Redbird64 here because this was the easy solution to my steering issues, and I overlooked it. Here’s the scenario:
1)leaking power steering fluid and “normal” pump groan last summer, which I figured I’d wait until winter to address.
2)added a little fluid each week, NOTtype F. Ran fine and got me through the fall.
3)put the car away for the winter, started her up once every couple of weeksin the garage. Nothing abnormal to note.
4)Weather warmed up, time to take her out, added some fluid, went to baker her out and the power steering groaned like never before, and the steering was extremely hard to turn. Checked the fluid and it was all foamed up. Crap, need a pump most likely. But let’s not get hasty. Let’s find out what exactly is wrong before changing parts. Anyone can do that, right?
5)found the leak(s) first, which was the reservoir to pump hose. Hard as a rock, and tightening the clamp would only postpone the replacement. So I replaced the hose. While there, I got about an 1/8 of a turn on the high pressure hose at the pump. Leaks solved.
6)why the noise? Why the foam? Checked this board, USE type F dummy! Crap, I killed the pump...maybe.
7)Ordered a case of type F, and a fluid extractor ($10). Sucked out all I could, added fluid, ran the car, turned the wheels stop to stop, and repeat until I went through 3 quarts of fluid thinking the intravenous may get me back to last year with “normal” pump noise. Nope, same thing, groaning all the way, and foam. Why? What could have happened from sitting over the winter? Btw, wipers worked fine. Okay, does t need a lot of pressure so it didn’t surprise me.
8)Read somewhere about pump “cavitation”, which is when the pump gets no fluid, and pumps air and may foam the fluid.
9)called a few experts, and they said replace the lines. Maybe one collapsed during the winter, or is clogged. One guy, Pat Wilson, who many here know well, said change the filter too. Theoretically could cause it, but he hasn’t seen that before. More than likely it’s the wiper motor inducing air, or a collapsed line. Wiper motor would be a mother to replace. Lines could be right. But let’s try the easy fix.
10)since I didn’t have a new filter, and I figure what more harm can I do, I removed the filter and started the car. Same noise but the steering didn’t fight as much. Hmm.
11)checked the fluid, and although there was foam, the level went down. Added some TYPE F.
12)ran the car, and slowly the noise went away COMPLETELY! Not a groan, not a whimper.
13)ordered a new filter from Pat, and got a spare! $15

Drove at least 100 miles last weekend. No leaks, no Noise, not even the “normal” noise.
Lesson 1, KiSS method, learned it in the Air Force 35 yrs ago as a tech.
Lesson 2, should have red Redbird64’s post and tried it.
Lesson 3, call Pat first. :-)

Thank you, and sorry for the long post. I find this stuff valuable and also learn from others trial and error methods, which is why I shared the detail. Cheers!
jgreene1

Post by jgreene1 »

I have a '63 Thunderbird and it is have groaning/foaming, etc. in the power steering unit. The pump has been replaced, a leak was discovered in the steering box---now repaired, all new lines, and it still foams. Is the next stop wiper motor?
Thx
Jim
tbird

Post by tbird »

Did not review the entire post but did you turn on the wipers and move the steering from lock to lock to eliminate all air from the system?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars