Neutral Safety Switches

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Plowell

Neutral Safety Switches

Post by Plowell »

Wondering if there is really a difference between neutral safety switches between 64 to 66.

Vendors sell one that blankets all three years. I've installed one of these repops on a 65 coup with the end result being barely acceptable.
If I was to do it over, I would have looked a little harder for a good used one.

I'm now pulling parts together for a 65 convertible and have seen a few NOS 66 switches for sale.
Is there any problems with installing a 64 or 66 switch on a 65?

Thanks in advance,
Pete
1965 Convertible / Currently PO Orange / Black Interior
1965 Hardtop / Red, Light Aqua and Rust / Beige, Red, Aqua and Dirt Interior
paulr

Re: Neutral Safety Switches

Post by paulr »

'66 COM vs. C6. Each uses a different neutral safety. Your '65 has a COM; you need that style switch.
I can show you an NOS C6 type switch next time you're over; got one in the garage.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I bought a NOS part off Fleabay and could never get it adjusted right. It either starts in P or N but not both and the calibration procedure in the manual only made it worse.
(Yes Paul, it's really me!)
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

We have missed you RedBird. Glad you are back, and stick around.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

RAVEN wrote:We have missed you RedBird. Glad you are back, and stick around.
Thank you sir!
Planning on lots of work this winter; all new susepnsion both front and back and new gas tank.
Currently trying to finish up a major revamp of the brakes with all new lines, dual MC and the other usual bits.
As usual, Paul R has been a big help in both good info and keeping me motivated!

Cheers,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Just remember the fuel tanks are made in Canada, so they should be of better quality than the C H Ina Corp make or J A Pan Company.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Yea, I've become very leary of off shore parts and avoid them at all costs!

Starting to wonder about my NOS NSS though.. I think the PN on it started with a C6XXXX which would suggest to me that it was a 66 model part and maybe for a C6. That might explain why I couldn't get it adjusted right.
tbird

Post by tbird »

NSS for a 66 C6 is located on the transmission shift shaft under the car, the switch on the column mounted device does not have the electrical terminals just vacuum valve for emergency brake.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
tbird

Post by tbird »

Got censored on the "shift shaft" will not let me correct my bad spelling.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

tbird wrote:NSS for a 66 C6 is located on the transmission shift shaft under the car, the switch on the column mounted device does not have the electrical terminals just vacuum valve for emergency brake.
Thanks, that means I must have the right part.
One of these days I'll have to play with it some more.

Scott
paulr

Post by paulr »

RedBird64 wrote:I bought a NOS part off Fleabay and could never get it adjusted right. It either starts in P or N but not both
RedBird64 wrote:
tbird wrote:NSS for a 66 C6 is located on the transmission shift shaft under the car, the switch on the column mounted device does not have the electrical terminals just vacuum valve for emergency brake.

Scott
Interesting; that's the tell-tale sign of a repop NSS, not a NOSNSS. Jeez. I've been around this with a whole box of these switches, and the repops don't work, or work inconsistently, or work in P but not in N, etc. Notwithstanding, there are various adjustment points at the column (assuming the column's not full of slop). The old factory switches, whether NOS or salvage always tend to fire just right if they're in clean condition.

I wouldn't put it past a an Ebayer to figure out a way to disguise Offshore as Detroit. Did it come with a fortune? JMO.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

paulr wrote:
RedBird64 wrote:I bought a NOS part off Fleabay and could never get it adjusted right. It either starts in P or N but not both
RedBird64 wrote:

Scott
Interesting; that's the tell-tale sign of a repop NSS, not a NOSNSS. Jeez. I've been around this with a whole box of these switches, and the repops don't work, or work inconsistently, or work in P but not in N, etc. Notwithstanding, there are various adjustment points at the column (assuming the column's not full of slop). The old factory switches, whether NOS or salvage always tend to fire just right if they're in clean condition.

I wouldn't put it past a an Ebayer to figure out a way to disguise Offshore as Detroit. Did it come with a fortune? JMO.
No fortune included but it did cost one IIRC. But wait, come to think of it, soon after I installed it I did want another one. Hmm.
It did come in an old FoMoCo box and had just the right patina..
The important thing is it didn't leak vacuum quite as bad as the original - which I took apart. I don't know how any of them keep from leaking bad. Terrible design. There's really no seal to them.
losendos

Post by losendos »

Does the NSS also perform the function of turning on the backup lights when the transmission is in reverse?

My backup lights are intermittent, but will come on if I wiggle the shift lever while it's in R. After poring over the service and electrical manuals, I find no mention of a separate backup light switch. Thanks.

Patrick
-Patrick
1966 Town Hardtop
VTCI #12691
Past Birds: 1986 Turbo Coupe 5-speed, 1965 Convertible
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

losendos wrote:Does the NSS also perform the function of turning on the backup lights when the transmission is in reverse?

My backup lights are intermittent, but will come on if I wiggle the shift lever while it's in R. After poring over the service and electrical manuals, I find no mention of a separate backup light switch. Thanks.

Patrick
Yes, the B/U lamp switch is incorporated into the NSS.
It could be the NSS but worn steering shaft parts could make it act up too.

Scott
tbird

Post by tbird »

Scott
Just noticed that you have a 64 I believe that the 64 switch mounting holes are slightly different than a 65/66 C-O-M switch.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars