EVERYTHING JUST DIED

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

redbird1

EVERYTHING JUST DIED

Post by redbird1 »

I have not sold the bird yet, and sill use it occasionally.
Today when I went to take it out for a little while, when I opened the door, none of the interior lights came on.
Put the key in the ignition, and nothing, no clicking, nothing.
Also, no lights or horn.
New battery put in last week, and tested it today with my volt meter.
Registered 14.5v, which tells me it isn't a battery problem.
One thing I noticed during the last month or so, sometimes when I turned the key to start it, nothing, then turn the key again, and it would start right up.
Would a faulty ignition affect the lights and horn?
This one has me stunned.
I can't think off the top of my head what would cause this.
I checked the cables, and they are tight, including the one connected to the starter.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Bob.
David Langhorne

Re: EVERYTHING JUST DIED

Post by David Langhorne »

Bob, don't think it's ignition as that wouldn't affect interior lights. Sounds like a simple earth problem. Try a jump lead from the engine direct to the battery negative. I had exactly this problem for ages, drove me mad - turned out to be a faulty battery earth lead, nothing to do with the connections.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Hi Bob

Had a similar problem. My 64 Bird was working one day and totally dead the next. No lights no ignition with good battery voltage. It turned out to be a broken wire high up under the right hand side dash. Some one had repaired the wires with plastic twist caps and they had failed. Aparently there are some relays up under the dash in that area.

Good luck
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I had similar symptoms when the starter solenoid died on me a few years back.

~Steve
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

66 has a fusible link on the R.F. fender well. If it was open (blown) everything would be dead.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

So far, this is what I have done.
Replaced the solenoid, ran a new negative battery cable from the battery to the block.
Checked the fusible link and no damage there.
Check the wiring to the relays under the right side of the dash.
They appear to be ok.
Still, everything is dead as a door nail.
Bob.
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

The final thing to check was the battery, and it was the source of the problem.
I put it on my charger, the charger said it was fully charged I ran a jumper across the post, and no spark at all.
I bought this battery a month ago yesterday.
Man quality sure is lacking in auto parts these days.
They tested the battery at the store, and for some reason it has shorted out.
They gave me another new replacement, and I wonder just how long this one will last.
Any way, thanks for all your advice.
I really appreciate it.

Bob.
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

redbird1 wrote:The final thing to check was the battery, and it was the source of the problem.
I put it on my charger, the charger said it was fully charged I ran a jumper across the post, and no spark at all.
They gave me another new replacement, and I wonder just how long this one will last.
I really appreciate it.

Bob.
Bob, what store did you buy it from?
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

Tbird100636 wrote:
redbird1 wrote:The final thing to check was the battery, and it was the source of the problem.
I really appreciate it.

Bob.
Bob, what store did you buy it from?

It's a Bosch battery, and I got it at pep boys.

Bob.
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

Hmmm... looked them up, looks like a re-labeled Exide battery. I don't particularly like Exide myself, I usually go for a Johnson Controls produced battery, which the batteries in both of our T-Birds are, I bought them from Advance Auto Parts, sold under the Autocraft Gold label. I went with the 27F size, which they do stock besides the incorrect 27 size. AutoZone also sell a JCI produced battery, under their Duralast Gold label.
Metalcop

Post by Metalcop »

The little known fact is that there are only 3 major manufacturers for automotive batteries, made in the USA! They are; Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls. All other batteries are simply re-branded, by these manufacturers. This includes OEM batteries offered in new cars and at dealerships. For example, Johnson Controls makes batteries for; Daimler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, and our own, beloved Ford Motor Company!
Of course this does not take into account foreign made batteries. Others are made in Mexico and (I would assume) China, these days.