low oil pressure

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jtschug

Re: low oil pressure

Post by jtschug »

The oil pump has a dump valve so the pressure does not continue to climb as the engine spins faster. I think a stock pump dumps out at about 40 psi if memory serves. As long as there is enough pressure to provide oil flow to the last bearing in the circuit, then the engine has sufficient pressure.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Raybird

Post by Raybird »

HI
Didn't I read someplace that these FE 390's have to much oil going to the heads and one could restrict that flow (I believe they mentioned using a carb jet in the heads oil supply routing) which in turn would help send more oil flow and pressure toward the bottom end! If true, it would seem to me a win/win! Any members have experience with this?
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Yes, it is common to restrict the oil flow in the head under one of the rocker shaft pedestals to reduce the flow up top which frequently floods the valve cover area with oil.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I don't think your oil pressure is bad.
Do you hear the lifters rattling at idle? If you don't hear them or any deeper ticking then your good to go.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

My oil pressure has always read high, but I never considered it a problem. As with the low readings, when the engine reaches speed, it falls.
Terry
64HT
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

If it's not making a racket, run it:)
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

If oil is just leaking past worn bearings, it really isn't too bad of a job to remove the oil pan and push in new ones (I've done 3 TBirds and a Caddy). The oil pump is right there and easy to replace at the same time (you'll need to prime the new pump through the distributor drive). This gives you a chance to see the condition of the bottom end and cylinders and seal up the most common leaks.
It's probably 2~3 hours to remove, clean and reisntall the pan and another 3~5 hours to replace bearings and rear seal. Removing the oil pan is much easier than most think.

It sounds ike a massive job but if you break it down into a couple of days, it really isn't that bad. I recommend you let the car sit for at least a couple of days before starting work so the oil drains into the pan as much as possible. The worst part of the job is having oil dripping on you every once in a while.

A few hours of work and $200 in parts will extend the life of the eng a long time.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Has actual oil pressure been confirmed with a mechanical gauge?
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0