Ticking Speedometer '65 Convertible

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Scott J. Fonner

Ticking Speedometer '65 Convertible

Post by Scott J. Fonner » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:38 am

Easy question. Speedometer is ticking, "assuming" it needs a new cable as ticking is in pace with speed and rolling barrel has a hesitation. How many hours will I have invested in replacement and how do I do it assuming it is the cable? Thanks in advance.

paulr

Re: Ticking Speedometer '65 Convertible

Post by paulr » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Cable change is easy but don’t go there yet. Describe the “hesitation” specifically, please.
Also, have you ruled out the odometer assembly?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

Scott J. Fonner

Post by Scott J. Fonner » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:58 am

Regarding hesitation. As speed increases, ticking sound begins and pace of ticking quickens, following speed. Speed indicator is not smooth or constant, it jumps in sync with ticking. Don't know where to start regarding odometer assembly.

paulr

Post by paulr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 am

Scott J. Fonner wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:38 am
Easy question... "assuming" it needs a new cable... How many hours?
To save on hours and headaches, I'd clean the cable (it's the least amount of teardown and build-up). IIRC, the manual has a basic cable replacement outline, but if I'm wrong it goes like this:
  • Remove the center clock pod, wiper/washer & vent knobs, etc.
  • Optional remove the radio speaker and other interfering equipment to make room
  • Cable end is now able to be reached coming in through opening.
On a MY65 the cable end has a nut; you can get it with a shorty line wrench. Bring the cable housing out through the clock pod and draw the cable out from the cable housing. Inspect it for any obvious problem--it ought to be perfect, no frays, bends, splits or anything. Clean it and reapply a new speedometer cable lube and put it back in if it's ok looking (if it is damaged, you can buy a new cable but, installation will be more work because of the new housing). When it goes all the way down to the transmission you have to twist it around until it seats into the gear--you'll feel that. Reconnect it to the speedometer pod.
Next, go for a drive. Still clicking, then you could still check out the drive gear in the transmission which is real easy, but that's probably not going to be it. Probably you're looking at a speedometer removal and surgery, which you can do yourself, but it will eat up a weekend. We'll be here. :smile:
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

redstangbob

Post by redstangbob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am

The only thing I'd add to Paul's excellent advice is to spin the speedo with your hand while the cable is out, you might see or hear something. My speedo had jumped, and the drum was a bit bent, how that happened I don't know but I managed to fix it without any new parts. I'll also admit that I use light(er) duty chassis grease, not the real sticky stuff, on the inner cable. Never had an issue, knock on wood. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

Moderator 64-66 Forum
65 hardtop

Scott J. Fonner

Post by Scott J. Fonner » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:24 pm

That's a plan of attack for a nice day, appreciated. You guys are the best!

Privateer

Post by Privateer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:23 am

Just for info:
Mine would "tick" between 30 to 50. It was the outside drum part somehow had a tiny bend so it was barely misaligned as it rotated. Also I put a very tiny amount of clock oil on the gears when I repaired it and *knock on wood* it's been quite and smooth since.

Scott J. Fonner

Post by Scott J. Fonner » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:03 am

That is what I'm hoping is the issue, but am now ready for worse. Thank you all.

Burtman

Post by Burtman » Sun May 06, 2018 1:48 pm

I am curious as to what you did to remedy the ticking speedometer situation. Also, while it was doing this along with the unsteady speed readout, was the odometer working normally?

Gillerd

Post by Gillerd » Sun May 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Curious about what causes the issue as well.

Scott J. Fonner

Post by Scott J. Fonner » Mon May 07, 2018 7:04 am

Have done nothing yet, but noticed speedometer is no longer registering mileage, speed is still jumping in time with the click.
Ordering a cable then will dismantle dash as suggested, don't want to do this twice.

Burtman

Post by Burtman » Mon May 07, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks for the information and hope you are able to get it squared away. I also have a '65 convertible, and last summer heading home from a show the speedometer began that clicking, erratic speed readout, and a seemingly stuck odometer. To recon with this meant going into the dash and opening that pandora's box. I kept putting it off until this spring and then read of someone else having the similar situation. I was still reluctant to take on this down time for the car, and then reading suggestions as to where to go I thought I'd at least do the simple thing first. Since the car was on the lift I went under and removed the cable from the transmission thinking there might be some lack of smoothness in the cable by turning the gear either direction. Not so many years ago I had had the cable out and lubricated it with light weight chassis grease. I did this slowly at first and then kept spinning the gear considerably one direction and then the other. The cable turned smoothly all the time with no hint of obstruction or binding in case the cable was worn. (This is a documented 42,000 mile car.) Since the cable spun smoothly in the housing I re-inserted it in the transmission and brought the car back down. That afternoon I took it out for its first drive of the season, North Dakota, the odometer turned a half tenth and the speed was back to being unsteady with the clicking continuing. Not surprised, but a few days later I was out with it for a show and the usual persisted. A few miles down the road I noticed the odometer was suddenly back to working and the speed was showing smoothly. These things don't fix themselves. In this case I wonder. We can only hope, but I won't hold my breath.

Scott J. Fonner

Post by Scott J. Fonner » Mon May 07, 2018 10:46 am

Or I could turn up the radio and not look down at the speed..........fixed.
When I finally have the time, I'll post my conclusions.

Burtman

Post by Burtman » Mon May 07, 2018 2:52 pm

First off, my word should have been "reckon," and secondly I'm not sure how to take your comment.

Scott J. Fonner

Post by Scott J. Fonner » Mon May 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Turning up the radio to fix a sound problem is what I did when I was a teenager. Please take my comments with best of intent.