Excess Engine Compartment Heat

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Kerrvilletbird

Excess Engine Compartment Heat

Post by Kerrvilletbird » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 pm

I recently completed a partial engine rebuild. Running the car the temp gauge shows car not over heating but the engine compstment gets extremely hot where it seems excessive. I have checked the gauge it works and I have a new sending unit in. Is this typical for a 390? Is there some kind of heat deflector that should go on the exhaust manifold to block heat?

scumdog

Re: Excess Engine Compartment Heat

Post by scumdog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:29 am

Have you thought about using one of those infrared digital temperature gauge deals to measure temperatures at various places around the engine bay?
You would be amazed at how hot your exhaust ports get!
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic

Kerrvilletbird

Post by Kerrvilletbird » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 am

If I had one I would. I was thinking of using my digital meat thermometer! Its gotten to where my fuel in my line to the carb is bubbling

paulr

Post by paulr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Kerrvilletbird wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 pm
I recently completed a partial engine rebuild.

Is there some kind of heat deflector that should go on the exhaust manifold to block heat?
Partial rebuild? Top end only, or what exactly? For the rebuilt engine what break-in procedure are you following?

There's should be a small heat shield for the left side exhaust pipe to manifold but I don't think that's really the problem. The OEM all metal-type gaskets are also called heat shields; if you're not using those maybe it's a step that would help.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

sseebart

Post by sseebart » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:27 am

Kerrvilletbird wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 am
If I had one I would. I was thinking of using my digital meat thermometer! Its gotten to where my fuel in my line to the carb is bubbling
It absolutely gets hot under the hood of these cars, but if the engine is operating within the normal range, the heat under the hood is likely "normal."

Bubbling or boiling in the gas line probably has more to do with the routing of the line and the material of the line itself. If you're using a rubber line from the pump to the carb, get it as far away from the manifold as possible. Also, if you have one of those clear metal and glass filters, remove it. (There's a huge filter in the fuel pump itself, if you're still using the original.)

Modern fuel contains ethanol and boils at a much lower temperature than pure gas. If you can get straight gasoline, it would probably help. (Though it's not possible in many states.)

~Steve

RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 am

These cars do get hot under the hood, always have.
New cars breath fresh air and have EFI to help. They also exhaust the air from the eng compartment better.
Ethonol boils at 173 degrees. That temp is easily attainable under our hoods so some issues with idling or even driving in hot weather are unavoidable.
I can tell you that EFI helps a lot but isn't a cure. It would probably help to snorkel in some cool fresh air but the biggest issue is the trapped heat.
However, your eng should still be able to keep itself within the normal temperature range if everything is right. Things like cheap radiators, thermostats and clutch fans will exarcerbate the problem.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.

Kerrvilletbird

Post by Kerrvilletbird » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:45 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I do have a clear filter at the carb. I will look at re routing the lines and try to get some better air flow into the compartment.