turn signal adjustment

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

nbaum

turn signal

Post by nbaum »

Well I decided to replace the canceling cam on my wheel. I found that if your cam is worn all you have to do is take if off, turn it upside down (its symetrical and not like Jim's picture) then reinstall and its new again. I'am at the reinstall part now. How do you get that cam back on the wheel? I can't put it in a vice because the cam on both of the wheels I own now are over 180 degrees so if you try to spring it in a vise it collapses.
I just found my own answer. Put a vice grip on the cam from the open side and you can spring open half of the cam. That gives you enough room to install it.
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Norton,

Can you post a picture of your cam and wheel? Ford must have drastically changed the whole arrangement between '62 and '63 and I'm curious now as to the difference.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
nbaum

turn signal

Post by nbaum »

Jim, Here's a picture of my wheel hub. You can see I filed a notch to get rid of the rounded edge that was causing my turn signal not to turn off. the cam is now installed upside down from when it was built. This way the groove that was wore into it is at the bottom and not bothering anything. You can see with this design cam it can be reversed

2016 Lexus RX350
2005 Chevrolet SSR
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Now I see the difference - major change between '62 and '63. I'm wondering if the "closed" shape of the '62 cam accelerated wear of the cam surface - maybe that's the reason Ford changed the design. Thanks, Norton.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
nbaum

turn signal

Post by nbaum »

You can see the groove that was wore into now the bottom of the cam.
I bought a steering column off Ebay and the cam was all greased up when I removed the steering wheel.
Is this cam suppose to be greased before assembly? Seems like a good idea.
Also I was planning on putting some dielectric grease on the horn contact surface. Is that a good idea?
2016 Lexus RX350
2005 Chevrolet SSR
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Yes, I think light grease on the cam is a good idea - I use blue fishing reel grease as it doesn't gum up like white grease. I put dielectric grease on every electrical connection in the car, including the horn contact - always a good idea.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
edpol

Post by edpol »

Dielectric grease is always a good idea on any connection, even around the house. Flashlights that aren't used much for instance, often fall victim to corrosion of the battery terminals. Or maybe a camera that isn't used a lot, and you forget to take the batteries out.
AndyMacMartin

Re: turn signal adjustment

Post by AndyMacMartin »

Hello all - I'm new here, and recently got a 63 hardtop. I'm having the turn signal cancelling problem, and am wondering if anyone knows where to find a turn signal cancelling cam for a 1963. It is the one on the back of the green steering wheel in Jim Wulf's post above, not the one for 61-62 on the back of the orange wheel in nbaum's post above. I've checked numerous sites - I think I've covered the usual suspects. The pre-63 ones are easy to find, but not the 1963, which was only used the one year. Any help would be greatly appreciated!