Convertible Cylinder Tape

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Brian Harris

Convertible Cylinder Tape

Post by Brian Harris »

So i'm chillin in the shop, thinkin Thunderbird, and I glance across the workbench to actually focus on a couple power window motors I've purchased over time as backups. I particularly focus on the non-NOS motors and I notice the tape that holds on the "foam" vibration pad. :!exclaim:

It reminds me of the same tape that I found covering the access/fabrication holes on the doors and the shock tower access holes and the rear window inner panel holes, etc.

It's the same tape. And why wouldnt it be, right... no big surprise I guess.

But then I think about the tape used to secure the hoses to the four convertible top cylinders. Hmmm?!?

Would FORD really use (volume purchase) different tape if they didnt have to? The black "gaffers" type tape is used throughout the interior and on certain wiring harness convergences as well as wire harness tape downs in the interior.

So, would they really use a different type of tape ONLY to tape the hoses to the cylinders, which was no doubt done on the assembly line rather than as a component pre-assembled elsewhere?

The only reason I bring this up, as an item of question, is that I've heard that the original tape used on the cylinders is NOT this black "gaffers" type tape, but instead a White "medical cloth" type tape.

Would FORD really have specified and made their best economical purchase of type by specifiying black tape for all applications EXCEPT the cylinder hose attachment?

I'm pretty sure that when I disassembled by essentially unmolested SR that the tape was black, but have been told that it was simply dirty and deteriorated over the 40+ years, and that the original was tape was the white medical type tape.

Any thoughts regarding this and the original tape used?

Cheers... Brian

PS: I so wish that that Canadian HT or Art's HT was instead a ragtop. :smile:
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
nbaum

tape

Post by nbaum »

Its white Brian!
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
Art Kastl

Post by Art Kastl »

Hey Bro' - Great seeing you and Norton at the Wheaton Tbird show!!! It was a great weather day and great to finally meet you and see in person that awesome SR of yours,. The time/energy/thought you placed into the details is special !!! (Do you sense ENVY !!! :smile: )...

So, after the show I was coolin' down and went through my vintage magazines and found a pic (circa May 1961- Motor Life) of that "tape"...

Guess what... Norton was right on again... If my eyes are not tricking me it surely looks like "white" 3/4" cloth tape in the same position holding the hoses to the cylinders that you have done... Again, totally what I would not have thought it would have been...

:cool:
Last edited by Art Kastl on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
62 HT Raven Blk/Red "Original/Un-restored"

2009 Bloomington Gold 'Zenith' Award
2010 VTCI 'Wixom Preservation' Award
2011 AACA 'Historical Preservation of Original Features' (HPOF) Award
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

Rats!!! Norton's right again?!? I hate that when that happens... lol. :lol:

I think I may have that issue of Car Life, so I'll check it out, though you've got a pretty good eye from what I can tell with all the details you've preserved on that awesome Survivor of yours.

It was great to actually meet you face to face and see your HT. What a wonderful bunch of folks the Chicagoland club has.

Cheers... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda