are the L and R headlight buckets interchangeable?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ornithology

are the L and R headlight buckets interchangeable?

Post by ornithology »

i'm asking about the the black bucket that is the very back of the headlight assembly.
it looks to me like Left and Right are the same part, but i only have one to look at, and my manual is not at hand... in this diagram it's the uppermost piece in the back:

ImageScreen Shot 2021-09-09 at 2.01.49 AM by echoparkguitar, on Flickr
Jim Wulf

Re: are the L and R headlight buckets interchangeable?

Post by Jim Wulf »

ornithology wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:14 am i'm asking about the the black bucket that is the very back of the headlight assembly.
it looks to me like Left and Right are the same part, but i only have one to look at, and my manual is not at hand... in this diagram it's the uppermost piece in the back:

Yes, interchangable, same part both sides.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
ornithology

Post by ornithology »

oh thank goodness, Jim.

for a while there i thought i bought the wrong one! 😆

thanks.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Funny thing is that when it comes to 64/65 (and possibly 66) each "pot" is unique to its location. There is a HL, a HR, a LL, and a LR. Plus the pots are marked as such.
There was a post to the FORUM on this subject, awhile back. Do a SEARCH and find out.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

RAVEN wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:53 am Funny thing is that when it comes to 64/65 (and possibly 66) each "pot" is unique to its location. There is a HL, a HR, a LL, and a LR. Plus the pots are marked as such.
There was a post to the FORUM on this subject, awhile back. Do a SEARCH and find out.
The same marking procedure is true for 61-63 regarding the actual headlight "pots", Wally. The Osborn assembly manual actually shows the entire R/L headlight assemblies as being different part numbers, reflecting the required left/right placement of the pots, but the two steel mounting buckets for the pots are identical, both being stamped with the number FTSB-61. These mounting buckets are secured, in turn, to the chromed pot metal housing. I believe the steel mounting buckets were elimated for 64-66, with the headlight pots being secured directly into the redesigned chromed pot metal housings.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
ornithology

Post by ornithology »

Jim Wulf wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:39 pm
RAVEN wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:53 am Funny thing is that when it comes to 64/65 (and possibly 66) each "pot" is unique to its location. There is a HL, a HR, a LL, and a LR. Plus the pots are marked as such.
The same marking procedure is true for 61-63 regarding the actual headlight "pots", Wally. The Osborn assembly manual actually shows the entire R/L headlight assemblies as being different part numbers, reflecting the required left/right placement of the pots, but the two steel mounting buckets for the pots are identical, both being stamped with the number FTSB-61. These mounting buckets are secured, in turn, to the chromed pot metal housing. I believe the steel mounting buckets were elimated for 64-66, with the headlight pots being secured directly into the redesigned chromed pot metal housings.
yes indeedy, i noticed that the two "pots" that mount into my original bucket are stamped LL and LH. i was theorizing that perhaps i could simply reverse the two Right side pots, to reconfigure for the two Lefts that i needed. but i'm coming up against a deadline to get the bird back together, and found some nice refinished Left side pots for a fair price.

i *did* already save some money by buying a complete Right side assembly, as my Right chrome housing and bezel were cracked. though my original Right steel bucket was still good, my Left one was pretty shot. that's where i lucked out on the interchangeability!