62 Tbird Deck Lid Cylinder Replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

kbuhagiar

62 Tbird Deck Lid Cylinder Replacement

Post by kbuhagiar »

Hello Folks,

I need to replace the leaky deck lid hydraulic cylinders on my 62 Tbird. In all my years of wrenching I've never had to work on a convertible top hydraulic system, so this is new for me. I know the system will need to be filled and bled afterwards, but what are the basic steps involved in the replacement process? Do I need to drain the system first?

I'm sure there will be spilled hydraulic fluid somewhere in the process, but I would like to minimize the mess where possible.

Any and all advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
kbuhagiar

Re: 62 Tbird Deck Lid Cylinder Replacement

Post by kbuhagiar »

***UPDATE***

Well, guess what - turns out I didn't need to replace the deck lid cylinder after all. What I perceived to be a leaky cylinder was actually a loose hydraulic fitting. I tightened the fitting (and all of the others while I was at it) and the leak is gone.
Afterwards I checked the hydraulic fluid and found it to be low. I added approximately 120ml to bring the level up to the bottom of the filler plug, then cycled the system three times (as per the shop manual).

What a difference. The system is noticeably quieter and smoother, and the problem I had with the deck lid 'drooping' when open is completely gone.

I'm grateful that this fix turned out to be easier than expected, and I think it's worth noting how much of a difference a low fluid condition can make in the operation of the convertible system. Check your fluid!

And now...on to the next Tbird crisis! :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I have a slow leak on one of my cylinders. I have the new ones but am a bit anxious exchanging them will open a whole new can of worms with broken/stripped hydraulic fittings etc. Does anyone have any comments on this? I wasn't planning on replacing all of the hoses unless necessary. These were replaced maybe 15 years ago.
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

orthodoc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:22 pm I have a slow leak on one of my cylinders. I have the new ones but am a bit anxious exchanging them will open a whole new can of worms with broken/stripped hydraulic fittings etc. Does anyone have any comments on this? I wasn't planning on replacing all of the hoses unless necessary. These were replaced maybe 15 years ago.
For what it's worth, here is my take...As glad as I am that I didn't have to replace my cylinders or any hoses, based on my research it sounds like it would be a pretty straightforward procedure. Inspect the hoses, and if they look ok (no cracks, still flexible) I'd leave it at that. On the other hand, if any of the hoses look worn or on the verge of failing, I would replace them all, since you'd have to open the system anyway.

In any case, good luck!
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible