cracked windscreen

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

beest61

cracked windscreen

Post by beest61 »

Afternoon... I have a 63 Thunderbird that has developed a small crack about 2in/30cm in length where the mirror is attached to the windscreen, and I'm after someone to supply and replace it.. problem is I'm in Adelaide South Australia and hoping that someone who is on this forum can maybe help me out, any info would be appreciated. Cheers.
63 Hardtop Corinthian white
Karl

Re: cracked windscreen

Post by Karl »

G'day.
Some time ago I looked into buying a windscreen for my 63 and keep it as a spare. I live in Brisbane and one of the well known windscreen people ( I can't remember who) said he had it in stock, which sounded strange to me.
Anyway I didn't pursue purchasing the windscreen.
Have you tried some of the bigger windscreen mobs.
Failing that, Barry Haley in Melbourne may have one.
Karl
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
beest61

Post by beest61 »

Afternoon Karl... I've made a couple of enquiry's and one place mentioned that they have done one of these before but the problem being finding the windscreen and the associated fittings and they would be back in touch if/when they can get them... I will give them a couple of weeks to see what they can come up as that was a month ago but in the meantime I'm looking at what options I have.

The Tbird parts places in the US ship most parts to OZ but don't seem to ship windscreens outside the USA... anyhow I will keep making enquires and seeing its insured with Shannon's $$$$ aren't a issue... the crack may well stay as is for years but then again it could spread across from one side to the next tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.. cheers.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Just a thought. Our local glass fellows do vacuum stonechip repairs, and use an adhesive injection repair compound. You say you know of the crack and potential failure, why not try the repair injection compound method. You may buy some time, or even stop the crack traveling.
I had a windshield repaired and it never failed before I traded it in 6 years later. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
beest61

Post by beest61 »

Have given that a go but not sure how successful is was as you cant feel the crack so I don't know if any of the resin went in.. and I don't want to drill a small hole into the crack to assist the resin to penetrate it cos that could end in tears. cheers.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

I have the same problem on my 64, I'm in Perth. Living with mine at the moment because I'm still in the renovation stage. Had heard a mob here in Perth, I think it was Classic Windscreens have done them before but not 100% on that. Let us know how you do I might need to use them 2.
beest61

Post by beest61 »

Rang Shannon's yesterday and asked them who were their preferred repairer and they said O'Brien's... I then sent a message to O'Brien's via their website and about a hour later a bloke from them contacted me and took all the details and lodged the insurance claim... this morning they rang again to confirm whether it was a hardtop or convertible and would I like a new rubber/window seal fitted as well in which I said that would be good... and then early this arvo I got a call and a text saying parts are on its way and all booked in for the 20th of April... happy days. Cheers.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Now that is service.
See if they follow through. If I am ever in the need for a windscreen I will give them a call.
Service is something you don't see these days. I rang a mob in Melbourne to make a cutter, and they said no problem they could do it.
Two months later after numerous phone calls and two drawings of the cutter they said - Nah we can't make that. - That's service??
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Brilliant I'm insured with Shannon's 2. When you go for install I would take your workshop manual with you just in case.
beest61

Post by beest61 »

New windscreen is in... O'Brien's did a great job, they carefully removed all the chrome trim around the windscreen both inside and out and removed any residue rubber/glue/sealant that was there and cleaned up the trim and replaced everything exactly the way it was.... they patiently took their time about 12 hours and delivered a excellent result.

So if your in Adelaide they are the people to see.

Cheers.