H Pipe Woes

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

claybreaker 144

H Pipe Woes

Post by claybreaker 144 »

I've been working on my exhaust for a couple of months. I started out with a couple of salvaged tailpipes from a parts car and purchased the H pipe from Pat Wilson. The H pipe required some tweaking to get it to line up with the manifold studs and when I finally succeeded on the manifold end I found the driver side pipe didn't tuck up into the tranny tunnel and was hitting the floor. A call to Pat Wilson had a replacement H pipe shipped right away. The second H pipe fit quite well but now I found my used tailpipes weren't bent correctly to use the factory hangers, they were abandoned to the recycling pile. I decided to purchase a Waldron system based on what I have read on this site. After a 10 week wait, I was surprised the Waldron H pipe didn't fit at all, had to get wooden pry tools to get it on the exhaust manifold studs and one of the passenger studs was so close to the pipe it was impossible to put a nut on the stud. The pipe was canted to the driver side by a couple of inches and the pipe hit the floor instead of tucking up in the tranny tunnel. I'm glad I have the second H pipe, the tail pipes look to fit nicely.
I'm one out of three for H pipes anyone else purchase an H pipe that didn't fit correctly?
66 Elcamino
62 F100 Uni CVS
62 Tbird Hardtop M Code under restoration
55 Stude Next up
61 Tbird Convt Project