Conversion from Road Draft Tube to PCV on 62 TBird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

62 Bird nz

Conversion from Road Draft Tube to PCV on 62 TBird

Post by 62 Bird nz »

Hello,

I have a 1962 Ford Thunderbird and am trying to find some information on the easiest way to convert from the current Road draft tube to a PCV set up.
Engine in currently running a 600 Holley carb with the factory slant spacer without the hole for the PCV return. Is there any other options / suggestions on how i can fit this or am i better to look for a spacer with the hole in it for the return?
Alan H. Tast

Re: Conversion from Road Draft Tube to PCV on 62 TBird

Post by Alan H. Tast »

The road draft tube fitting is pressed into the rear of the intake manifold for a 4-barrel car. Personally, I'd do it the way the factory did - get ahold of the T-bird parts houses, people who may be parting out T-birds on your little island or your neighbors on the bigger island to the west of you, or scour the for-sale ads for the parts to add the factory PCV (fitting in manifold, bracket for PCV valve, PCV valve, hoses/clamps, bent steel tube, carb base with inlet hole for vacuum to pull crankcase vapors into intake). The setup was used on '62-'64 full-size Fords/Mercurys with 390s, so it shouldn't be hard to source.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

62 Bird nz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:48 pm Hello,

I have a 1962 Ford Thunderbird and am trying to find some information on the easiest way to convert from the current Road draft tube to a PCV set up.
Engine in currently running a 600 Holley carb with the factory slant spacer without the hole for the PCV return. Is there any other options / suggestions on how i can fit this or am i better to look for a spacer with the hole in it for the return?
This may answer some of the parts and installation questions for you:

http://www.tbirdgarage.com/Site_2/Techn ... ystem.html
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

If you go to Thunderbird Ranch site , he has a complete conversion kit he sells , to convert a road draft set-up . (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

If you go to Thunderbird Ranch site , he has a complete conversion kit he sells , to convert a road draft set-up . (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
That what I used, and it worked out quite well.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)