Engine Cranks Slowly

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Johnnyboy

Engine Cranks Slowly

Post by Johnnyboy »

I have a 1961 T Bird. My battery is well charged but the car cranks real slowly. Any ideas on what to check that is causing this?
bbogue

Re: Engine Cranks Slowly

Post by bbogue »

The first things I would check are the battery, starter solenoid and starter connections and cables. Remove, clean and reinstall the cables at the battery. Check for loose or corroded connections at the starter solenoid, starter and ground at the engine. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

bbogue wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:07 pm The first things I would check are the battery, starter solenoid and starter connections and cables. Remove, clean and reinstall the cables at the battery. Check for loose or corroded connections at the starter solenoid, starter and ground at the engine. Good luck.

Bill
Thanks Bill I'll try that.
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

What bbogue said is real good.

Of course, it's January, so cold weather is a factor, but I'm going to presume you know that. Make sure you have an appropriate gauge of cables that aren't too long.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I had a 61, My suggestion think about installing a pertronix ignition system to help in starting. That is what I had. I did help ...
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

After checking all connections and motor rolls over slowly, try a little old country trick. Place a 100 watt trouble light under the hood, close it and then drape a heavy blanket over the hood, and any other old covers you have around home. Leave over night then try the starter the next day. You may be amazed on what happens.
Cheap experiment..
If it rolls over, then ambient is a little cool and oil is thick. A magnetic oil pan heater will assist in this cold temp start.
Just some back country tricks
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Some who’ve responded seem to be under the impression your car is outdoors, subjected to weather and cold winter temperatures. If so, I sorry. Weather can be tough on cars, especially old ones. I remember from the 1960’s how slow to turn over my Galaxie’s 390 could be in cold weather. In that case I think the issue was a combination of straight viscosity 30 weight oil, minimal battery power and my own ignorance. I’m better informed and experienced now. I use 10W30 oil (thinner when cold, thicker when warm) and pay attention to battery specs. My 61 Thunderbird came to me with a fairly new Interstate battery, 29NF size, but only rated at 420 Cold Cranking Amps, about the same as the battery in my wife’s Honda. I could not find a 29NF battery with better specs. Some battery mfrs list the 29NF battery size for our cars but I was happy to see that NAPA listed the 27F battery size with 710 CCA’s. It turns my engine much better than the Interstate 29NF.
Good luck.

Bill

RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Not all garages are heated. Many cars are stored indoors in unheated areas, but out of the direct weather. Sometimes it can actually be colder in an unheated garage as the building becomes an insulator to prevent the items within to experience the higher outdoor temps during the day.
My suggestion was a thought, which is low budget, and prevent possible wasted costs of experimentation. FWIW.
1964 Red Convertible
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

I’d like to 2nd Raven’s idea about warming the engine bay with an incandescent bulb overnight, carefully. On the farm, we used to prevent freezing of our water well pump with a light bulb hung near the pump. As for magnetic oil pan heaters, I have no experience at all. Raven, you Canadians have ALL the fun! :lol: Brrr! Time for Florida.

Bill

Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

My car is in a garage, but not heated. I live in Northern VA and it get down into the 20's and 30's overnight.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I live in Illinois suburb of Chicago, We do get some freezing cold winters my garage is not heated. I would start the car once a month to keep the fluids going. My car came equipped with Pertronix ignition I never had a problem starting.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

This post has gone off its rails. We are not weatherman. LOL
The original post was a question on why the engine rolled slowly. Some repos were given to warm the block, are there any other inputs?
Johnnyboy, have you tried starting, what is the feed back?
1964 Red Convertible
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

How about taking a multimeter and do a few
Basic tests like voltage drop under a load. And
Load test the battery ? Worst case , some parts
Stores will bench test the starter if your weak
On diagnosing electrical.
My thoughts
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
OldRusty1

Post by OldRusty1 »

I think Bill and Cliff hit it on the head. Assuming that all electrical connections are good, then a multi-vis oil, 10W-30 or I use 10W-40 along with a fully charged battery that has ample capacity, I'm running a Duracell 840 CCA battery then you should be good to go. If it's still slow cranking then I would suspect that the starter has issues - brushes or windings.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productde ... 58/sli27fm
'62 Chestnut Convertible, White Top/Chestnut Interior
VTCI #12660
Past T-Birds:
'65HT, '66TL, '63SR, '78DJE

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits". Albert Einstein
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

Thank you for the suggestions, I've been too busy to look into things further, hopefully next week I'll take you guy's suggestions to figure it out.

Thanks again.