Disaster bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

nursejen813

Disaster bird

Post by nursejen813 »

Hello,
I just joined this forum hoping to get some advice on a 1961 Tbird hardtop that my dad left me. Unfortunately, it was sitting in a garage for 10+ years and has a laundry list of problems as a result. I had it towed to a mechanic to see if they could get it started and they say the brakes are rusted solid (the wheels won't turn, which I already knew), it needs all new brakes, suspension, and tires. When they hooked it up to a battery it just made a click, so they say it needs a starter, plugs and wires, which makes sense to me and the quote for that wasn't too much. However, they also said the carburetor linkage is seized up and if they can't free it up with a "penetrant" it may need to be re-built. Then they said it could cost $1000 to rebuild the carburetor, which is where they lost me. I don't know much about old cars but everyone I've spoken to says a carburetor rebuild is easy and costs $50 in parts. That got me looking online and a new one is only $200-$500... This shop has good reviews and seems honest, so I'm really not sure what to make of this quote. I'm also very concerned that it may cost more to get it rolling than it's worth. I know the brakes will be at least $1000 but have no idea what this type of car in this condition is worth. The body and interior are decent, with minimal rust spots on the outside, no body damage and a few tears in the vinyl seats. Any advice on how much I should spend or how best to sell it would be greatly appreciated. The only reason I'm trying to get it running is to sell through a consignment shop that requires the car be running.
Thanks,
Jen
Cliff Rankin

Re: Disaster bird

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Jen , why not take some pictures and post it in the for sale
Section? Also it’s location. Just a thought .
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
nursejen813

Post by nursejen813 »

LOL, I didn't see a for sale section on here, thanks for the tip! It is in Grand Rapids, MI.
Attachments
tbird.JPG
nursejen813

Post by nursejen813 »

I should also add that I have no place to store this thing and have no way of knowing how long it will take to sell. The shop will only hold onto it for as long as they're working on it but IF they get it running the consignment shop will store it for at least a few months. I have it listed on the local Craigslist and will post here as well once I'm able.
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

$1000 for a carburetor rebuild? Preposterous. :x

Reputable shop or not, it sounds to me like they are betting that your sentimentality will get the better of you, since the car belonged to your father. They are BETTING on it. They figure you'll ditch your good sense because it's a family legacy.

This sort of business practice is reprehensible, and it makes my blood boil.

Do NOT let this shop keep custody of your car.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

My recommendation would be to see if you could make contact with a local car club (preferably Ford-related, but not necessary) and speak to them about your concerns; you have a better chance of getting an honest evaluation of the car's condition.

Good luck with the car.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Jen, your over your head. Your being taken advantage for sure. Posting on craigslist is a start. Try the local news paper for the sale. World of mouth, any means of communication to let someone know your selling the car. As far as what your asking price you might hagel a bit. This car can be what is known as a "parts car" for someone who is restoring their 1961 Thunderbird. Good luck.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
nursejen813

Post by nursejen813 »

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It sucks to be a female dealing with a mechanic, they often assume we can't (or won't) do the research and figure out what's reasonable. Any thoughts on how much I should expect to get for it in this condition? The tow truck driver who extricated it from my dad's garage told me I should ask 3k, but admitted he's not too familiar with what these things go for.
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

Find another guy; you can buy a very good new carb for 300- $400.00. But you are going to have to definitely spend some money to bring a car back from that condition. Sounds like they are really gouging you.
nursejen813

Post by nursejen813 »

I agree with taking it somewhere else. I just called them and they haven't done anything with it so far except soak the linkage in something to try to free it up. The guy I spoke to this time thinks the previous $1000 quote may have included the starter plugs & wires (the guy I spoke to last time wasn't here today). So who knows, maybe they will be ok. The problem with taking it somewhere else is the wheels don't roll at all and it is a major ordeal to drag that brick of a car anywhere. So here's another question: what would be the cheapest, easiest way to get the wheels rolling without investing in a whole new set of brakes? Would it be possible to remove the wheels and brakes, put on a set of used rims and tires and just use chock blocks to keep it from running away? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Jen since you are in the heartland of auto manufacturing there should be a number of local shops that specialize in Antique car restorations and repair that can give you a second opinion. I see there is a Steves Antique auto repair in Wyoming Mi that has good reviews. As far as if you just want to get it rolling any good auto shop should be able to get the wheels off and unstick the brakes from the drums without having to replace the entire brake system. The end may still be that the brakes may still not work but the wheels should roll.The cost will be an hour or two of labor. Just my thoughts

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

May I make a suggestion, Some members probably will disagree. It seems that you just want to get rid of the car. You could donate it and get a tax write off for assume value. The KARS for KIDS would pick up the car hence no worries in dealing with mechanics that try to rip you off. Things that you should think about is :
1.)Who will work on the car for a reasonable price, at what price a hour to work on it average price $80.00 an hour.
2.)Where are you going to store it when your trying to sell it. are you willing to pay a storage fee?
3.)Having a buyer to come to your place to dicker you down on price. or leave you hanging after a low ball offer.
4.)How much are YOU willing to spend. again you might/will lose what you have put into the car.
5.)Think of all your options carefully.
Sorry, how women are treated when it comes to auto maintenance, It's a crime. Best of luck. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask us on the forum.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

PM sent,check your Private Messages.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Jen, I would be cautious of garages as they may think they have a blonde, who knows nothing. Sad to think that way as I know many who are smarter than the average.
It is comforting to see Redstang post as I know he is in your general area and will not steer you wrong.
Many factors come into play, on investment vs return on money spent to sell the car.
Since Bob has spoken up, you may get some honest answers to base decisions on. GOOD LUCK with your situations, we are here to help.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
nursejen813

Post by nursejen813 »

ICON 1956 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:04 pm It seems that you just want to get rid of the car. You could donate it and get a tax write off for assume value.
I'd actually like to get some money for it, at least enough to cover the cost of cremation, etc. And tax write-offs are useless with the new system as I don't come anywhere near enough to itemize, even with mortgage interest.
RAVEN wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:58 pm Jen, I would be cautious of garages as they may think they have a blonde, who knows nothing. Sad to think that way as I know many who are smarter than the average.
LOL,I do happen to be blonde, but far from stupid as I'm an ICU nurse ;)
Fortunately I've had some interest so hopefully I can sell it soon. The one good thing about the garage is they're being lazy about getting around to working on it, which buys me free storage time.
Regards,
Jen
nursejen813

Post by nursejen813 »

MN63Tbird wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:51 pm As far as if you just want to get it rolling any good auto shop should be able to get the wheels off and unstick the brakes from the drums without having to replace the entire brake system. The end may still be that the brakes may still not work but the wheels should roll.The cost will be an hour or two of labor. Just my thoughts

MN63
I specifically told the guy I just want to get it "towable" and he made out like it's a huge ordeal... Now I'm even more annoyed with them >:(