Front wheel clearance issue

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

mark30h

Front wheel clearance issue

Post by mark30h »

I recently replaced upper and lower ball joints and wheel bearings on my 62 coupe. Since then, with the same stock wheels, drums and tires, the rims are contacting the upper control arms on turns. There is no past collision damage, arms are not bent, and it didn't rub before replacing the parts. The ball joints came from the internet, and the wheel bearings from a local parts store. My questions are, are the upper ball joints left or right only causing this clearance issue, or may I have gotten poor quality upper joints? Also is it possible that the inner wheel bearings be too narrow allowing the hubs to be closer to the control arms? The drums are not contacting the backing plates. Thanks for any feedback.

ICON 1956

Re: Front wheel clearance issue

Post by ICON 1956 »

There could be different sinarrows about the parts you acquired from the internet, One could be the ball joints could be from China, What manufacture made the bearings. Repops can cause a lot of damage because the material they were made from. It's best to search our Advertisers (parts) they have the knowledge and also the right part to assist you.
For your year of Thunderbird I would suggest calling these catalogs.
Birdnest 971-233-9000 www.tbirdparts.com
Pat Wilson parts 1-888-262-1153 www.wilsontbird.com
Concours Parts 1-800-722-0009 www.concoursparts.com
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1997 Heritage Springer with Motorvation matching side Car Red/Birch White
VTCI Member # 12309