Torque specifications / Front suspension

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Otto Customs

Torque specifications / Front suspension

Post by Otto Customs »

Hi,
I hope someone can give me the right answer. Currently I am restoring my front suspension but I don' t have all the information that I need.
My Questions:
- What is the Torque limit for the saddle bushing bolt? Do you need to be able to turn the "saddle" by hand? Soft or stiff operation?
- The torque limit for the saddle spring bracket (assembly) to the upper control arm (4 nuts)?
- Am I correct that the upper arm can be bolted to the frame with 50-70 Ft-Lbs?
I can' t seem to find the right numbers in the Thunderbird manual... and I am confused with "pivot bracket to underbody" specification, what bracket is this?
Thank you!
Aaron65

Re: Torque specifications / Front suspension

Post by Aaron65 »

The pivot bracket is the part that the lower control arm is bolted to, which is then bolted to the frame with a large bolt. When I took mine apart, that bolts was rusted pretty badly, and mine isn't a rusty car, so it's worth checking out as long as the suspension is apart. Mine's a '63, however, so yours may be different...I'll let one of the long-time experts chime in here on the differences.

My car doesn't have the saddle, so I can't help you there. Your upper arm torque figure is correct.
1963 T-Bird Hardtop
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark
1965 Corvair Monza
1965 Dodge Dart wagon
1953 Buick Special Riviera
1974 Firebird Esprit
Otto Customs

Post by Otto Customs »

Thank you for the info!
caseyc

Post by caseyc »

Hi,
I have one more question about the upper a arm. The book says to torque the a arm bushings you have to force a 9 1/2 inch spreader between the flanges after getting the 1.85" measurement from flange to center of mounting bolt. My a arm does not look bent or crushed but there is no way I am getting a 9.5 inch spreader parallel to frame mount, It appears that mine measures maybe 9.125" next to the solid portion of the a arm. To insert a spreader like that would end up bending and stretching the a arm. Any comments?
Thanks all!
CASEY C
62 tbird,41 chevy pickup project, 46 cadillac project
Daveya

Post by Daveya »

I also could not place a 9.5-inch spacer in my upper a-arm to tighten. My measurement was close to yours and my 1.850 came out correct. I watched a guy online tighten those bushing to I bet 100 lbs of torque. Don't know where he got that spec. Lower pivot could be the bolt for the lower a-arm.