Rough initial engagement into reverse

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

jgreene1

Rough initial engagement into reverse

Post by jgreene1 »

I have a 1963 Tbird, and it has always had a rough initial engagement into reverse. The rear band has been adjusted several times. The mechanic just cleaned to two control pressure valves in the transmission and cleaned the screen. It shifts fine when going forward, and no the idle it not set too fast, and no I don't mean with the car on fast idle, as when cold. I have read that if the control pressure it too high, then there will be engagement issues. However, why would it not do it in drive, and engage roughly only when going into reverse?
Open to ideas.
Jim
GeorgeG

Re: Rough initial engagement into reverse

Post by GeorgeG »

Jim: You might try the Ford transmission forum: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fordtransmissionforum/

They cover all Ford transmissions, but they have a few folks who know about old transmissions like ours. I have the same problem with my COM, but haven't dived into a solution yet. Keep us all posted if you find out anything.

George
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs
Royce Richmond

Re: Rough initial engagement into reverse

Post by Royce Richmond »

Do you get the same rough engagement going into drive? What is your idle speed set at? does the automatic choke release as it should? Is it rough only in the morning when cold? My friend's SR idle was set too high. Lowered it to 475 RPM and solved the rough engagement. Just some thoughts....Royce