Alignment troubles on 1961 bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Snowbird 61

Alignment troubles on 1961 bird

Post by Snowbird 61 »

Hello bird lovers. I am having a bit of trouble on my 61 with alignment issues. I did have a disc break conversion kit put on the front. Now after alignment was completed it pulls hard to the left, so much so that it really isn’t driveable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I also should add that all bushings have been checked and changed and I went with 15” rims and tires. It didn’t do this with the 14” originals. It actually was pulling slight right.
After reading some posts, let me introduce myself.
I am new to the forum. My name is Bruce G , from upstate NY ( Saratoga area). I inherited the bird from my Dad who has owned it since 1989. I have done quite a bit of work on it; rebuilt the motor,tranny,disc break conversion on front and a lot of other small stuff, too numerous too list. I went with VN31 smoothie rims from American racing and 205/70R15 100T Nokia’s Entyre tires. They look pretty sharp, now if only I could drive it....lol
Jim Wulf

Re: Alignment troubles on 1961 bird

Post by Jim Wulf »

Snowbird 61 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:47 am Hello bird lovers. I am having a bit of trouble on my 61 with alignment issues. I did have a disc break conversion kit put on the front. Now after alignment was completed it pulls hard to the left, so much so that it really isn’t driveable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I also should add that all bushings have been checked and changed and I went with 15” rims and tires. It didn’t do this with the 14” originals. It actually was pulling slight right.
After reading some posts, let me introduce myself.
I am new to the forum. My name is Bruce G , from upstate NY ( Saratoga area). I inherited the bird from my Dad who has owned it since 1989. I have done quite a bit of work on it; rebuilt the motor,tranny,disc break conversion on front and a lot of other small stuff, too numerous too list. I went with VN31 smoothie rims from American racing and 205/70R15 100T Nokia’s Entyre tires. They look pretty sharp, now if only I could drive it....lol
That may be a steering box issue, only correctable by rebuilding/replacing the box. Does the car seem like it's throwing the backend to the left when you turn right or vice versa? More information as to the nature of the "pulling" is needed.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
61 Snowbird

Post by 61 Snowbird »

The mechanic who aligned it stated it was a steering box issue also. But it didn’t pull before so i am skeptical. After driving it home from the garage, it only pulls left when I let go of the wheel. I don’t really feel the pull when holding the wheel or applying the break. I will take it for a spin today to try and learn more of what’s happening. Is there a steering gear box adjustment maybe? Thanks for your response Jim
Last edited by 61 Snowbird on Sun May 26, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
61 Snowbird

Post by 61 Snowbird »

61 Snowbird wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:23 am The mechanic who aligned it stated it was a steering box issue also. But it didn’t pull before so i am skeptical. After driving it home from the garage, it only pulls left when I let go of the wheel. I don’t really feel the pull when holding the wheel or applying the break. I will take it for a spin today to try and learn more of what’s happening. Is there a steering gear box adjustment maybe? Thanks for your response Jim
krave

Post by krave »

I had a steering box go bad...What it did was turn left when I took my hand off the wheel it could park itself it turned so sharply...lol..But when driving with hands on the wheel I felt no pull..So it may be the box..Maybe take to another shop just to double check the alignment vs changing out the box and finding out it wasn't the problem.
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day,
My 63 pulled / gravitated to the left on one occasion when I let go of the steering wheel also.
Now keep in mind I live in Australia. We drive on the left hand side of the road and the camber of the road is opposite to you in the U.S. I suppose the wheel alignment has to be opposite to what the manual states.

I have taken my car to the same steering place who specializes in 60's cars. Some times I am not happy with the results so I take it back and he is quite happy to re-do the alignment. In this occasion when the car moved to the left he said he can push the left (I think) wheel forward more and that seemed to correct the problem. The last time I had a wheel alignment done it is the best one that the car has had. Now the workshop has done about 7 wheel alignments over the 10 years that I have owned the car, so the workshop has had a lot of practice on my car.

I think, if I take my car elsewhere they are going to have to learn how to work on old cars.
Take it back and see if he is happy to re-do the alignment, see what he can do. It didn't go to the left prior to him working on the car.

It could be that one wheel is dragging more that the other. Spin the wheels, maybe one is slower than the other. Check tyre pressures also, one could be different.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Scooter430

Post by Scooter430 »

I would ask for a print out of the final alignment results. Bad Caster and Camber could cause this. You said you checked all "bushings" do you mean All bushings like the Strut Rod, Lower and Upper Control arm Bushings? what about inner and outer tie rod ends, Idler Arm, Center Link or Pittman Arm?
61 Snowbird

Post by 61 Snowbird »

Yes, I replaced all bad parts; ball joints, tie rods ,center link, strut rod bushings etc...
Was wondering if there was any adjustment on the steering gear box that could be made maybe?
After driving it again yesterday, it pulls left in reverse also. Don’t know if that matters or not .
The car has 63k original miles. Dad bought it from a senator here in NY, who told him it was in a Kennedy parade.
Not sure which Kennedy or how you would even find that info..lol
I guess I will try and find a old timer ford mechanic somewhere and have him recheck the alignment.
Thanks for all your help guys
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

In 1961, Ford updated the look of the Thunderbird to the more streamlined style that came to be known as the “Bullet Bird.” This is the Thunderbird convertible top model that became synonymous with John F. Kennedy, starting with his inaugural parade. In fact, according to the Thunderbird Registry, there were 50 identical Thunderbird convertibles used in JFK’s inaugural parade.

These were a special, ultra-limited edition which were created by Ford specifically for the presidency. It was a somewhat self-congratulatory move, since one of Kennedy’s first acts as president was to appoint former Ford executive Robert McNamara to Secretary of Defense.) These 50 t-bird soft tops were called The Presidential Edition or the Mahogany Thunderbird Convertible. The identical cars were distinguished from other 1961 Thunderbird convertibles by their special paint color, never used before or since.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

There's a little known steering gear adjustment for the pull to one side but if it happened after a disc brake conversion, I wouldn't think it would be the steering gear. However, if the steering wheel is easier to turn one direction at a stop (eng running) then adjustment may help.

I would exhaust all possiblities before adjusting the steering gear but as a last resort, it wont hurt anything to try and adjust the "pull" out of the gear.

To do so, warm up the eng so the steering gear, fluid and pump are warm.
Lift and support the front of the car so the front wheels can hang and turn side to side freely.
Look for a pyramid/domed shaped area of the steering gear. There will be a hex shaped cap on the tip of it. Remove this cap to expose the adjustment.
Start the eng and adjust as needed to cause the gear to stay centered on its own. Too far either way will cause the steering wheel to start turning by itself.

I have found this adjustment is sometimes needed even on a freshly rebuilt gear. You can tell it needs it if your steering is easier in one direction.

Finally, keep in mind if your gear immediatley jerks the steering to one side when you start the eng, the gear is leaking internally and you wont be able to adjust all that out.

Good luck!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Scooter430

Post by Scooter430 »

Have to checked for a hanging brake caliper or loose rotor? This could easily cause the same problem.