Deck Lid Weatherstripping Replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

Re: Deck Lid Weatherstripping Replacement

Post by stevegintn »

Jim Wulf wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:35 am There is a big difference in the profiles and durometers of trunk gaskets from different suppliers. I've have seen three different ones myself, and have one in a Dennis Carpenter bag that I would deem to be unusable because it is so large and the rubber is so dense. The "U" faces inward, BTW.
Thanks, Jim - can you please tell me, how big is "too big"? (I got mine from Ecklers - I'll measure mine, if you measure yours)

I sure don't want to glue mine on, then it be so big, the lid won't shut?

Steve
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Bungalocity wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:54 am The one I got from maybe Larry's (I can't recall, now the emails are from Ecklers) seemed to be the shape closest to the graphic at the top of this thread. I'll snap pix soon as it arrives today
Thanks, Bungalocity (you must have been in the Nam?)

When you take the pics, can you also please MEASURE yours? (height & diameter)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

haha no, but I was born before it ended.
I have a 1928 Bungalow - hence the name.

Tried to line it up on my lid, see how it should fit. Will snap pix soon.
Copy/paste from my invoice email:

66-44668-1
Trunk Lid Weatherstrip
Legacy#: COMB-6443720-C
Subtotal:
Shipping & Handling:
Tax:
Grand Total:
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

Hombres - I took the best shots I could, given the old . adhesive tar crap still in place. Shape seems to be right on from the graphic posted here.
Attachments
IMG_8695.jpeg
IMG_8694.jpeg
IMG_8693.jpeg
IMG_8692.jpeg
IMG_8691.jpeg
IMG_8690.jpeg
IMG_8689.jpeg
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

I’ll post photos and measurements tomorrow of the two different gasket profiles that I have in the shop now.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
tbird

Post by tbird »

That looks like weatherstripping made the way it should be made with air voids in the core so it will compress properly. Most of the reproduction stuff is to hard and does not take the shape to seal properly.

Who did you get it from?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Here's photos and measurements of the two different deck lid gaskets I have. The smaller, usable gasket is from Pat Wilson, although I don't know where he ultimately sourced it from. The larger, unusable gasket is from Dennis Carpenter. When squeezing both gaskets with the same amount of pressure, the Wilson gasket compresses to half the size as the Carpenter gasket. I've installed it on numerous deck lids with no issues, either in compression or in following the radius of the corners. However you look at it, the job is fiddly and you definitely need two two pairs of hands.

Pat W. Gasket:

Dennis C. Gasket:

Dennis C. Gasket:

Pat W. Gasket:
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

For what it's worth, I got the Bird in a pathetic neglected state, and the latch was in the hinterlands of trunk somewhere, with bolts, took 2 seconds to install it. I also noticed you have a great deal of adjustment possible to tweak the pressure needed to close the lid. I would like to get it that it pops up a tad when unlocking with key, not sure if the spring in the foam will do that or I need to crawl under hinges for lube?
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

I've also removed Mastic holding down bogus subfloor & linoleum over gorgeous old Maple kitchen flooring, and mostly it's a water-based glue. Messy, but eventually water soluble. I don't think I get as lucky on this one! Need to test before I can even attempt to glue.

AGAIN - note that in the original shop manual it calls for 2 dif. kinds of adhesive. That which holds the seal to paint, and another which seals the butt joint
tbird

Post by tbird »

I have always used the 3 M adhesive for applying weather stripping and in fact have used it for other rubber product around the car. Presumably the Black 3 M product is a stronger product than the 3 M Yellow.

As far as the two different adhesive number given in the Ford Assembly Manual we have no way to trace them down as to what the difference is other than one is made for gluing rubber to rubber and the other for rubber to metal.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Bungalocity wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:02 pm Hombres - I took the best shots I could, given the old . adhesive tar crap still in place. Shape seems to be right on from the graphic posted here.
Many thanks, Bunglalo (reason I asked about your username, it sounds like one of the radio call signs from the Nam)

A question: your 2nd and 4th photos, it looks like the trim is glued to a SIDE, as opposed to the top (side opposite the split) - or am I just seeing it wrong?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Jim Wulf wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:54 pm I’ll post photos and measurements tomorrow of the two different gasket profiles that I have in the shop now.
Thanks, Jim! - wow, there's a big size diff in those two.
I haven't measured mine yet (thunderstorms for past 2 days), but I will.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

Steve-O:

I haven't glued anything yet, just the new held up by hand in a variety of places.
If you meant the old black glue, it's all top, no side.

If none of you have seen my FB post on this last week, I FIRST had to see if this goes on body, or lid! Too many of both in a Google search images to take anything for granted.
I will cross post this during coming week when I start making headway with best glue-removal methods and see if anyone else can opine.

I'm just happy to have finally wrapped up my new fuel-line/tank/pump overhaul and can run again...at least enough to back into garage before today's coming storm!
Attachments
IMG_8697.jpeg
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Bungalocity wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 am Steve-O:

I haven't glued anything yet, just the new held up by hand in a variety of places.
If you meant the old black glue, it's all top, no side.

If none of you have seen my FB post on this last week, I FIRST had to see if this goes on body, or lid! Too many of both in a Google search images to take anything for granted.
I will cross post this during coming week when I start making headway with best glue-removal methods and see if anyone else can opine.

I'm just happy to have finally wrapped up my new fuel-line/tank/pump overhaul and can run again...at least enough to back into garage before today's coming storm!
I routinely remove most adhesives with acetone, which leaves most enamel paint surfaces intact. Acetone is highly volatile, so you need to use a thick, layered rag to apply it so it doesn't flash off too quickly, allowing for more dwell time on the adhesive. It's a laborious process requiring lots of patience and elbow grease, no matter which solvent you find to be effective and ultimately use on your particular glue. I always use the acetone outside and try to have a fan blowing across the working area if there's no wind to carry the fumes away. Several pairs of heavy 9 mil nitrile gloves, which will degrade periodically during the process, and eye protection are a must as always.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Peddller

Post by Peddller »

If you study the drawing carefully you will see that the seal is glued on the side across both sides of the trunk lid and across the front. On the back across the rear of the deck lid it is glued to the back of the seal.

You will need to get down to clean metal/paint if you are to have any realistic chance of good adhesion. There used to be a product from 3M called weatherstrip and glue solvent both in aerosol and quart cans but I am having trouble finding it recently, it was very good at cleaning glue and old rubber. I have been using CRC Brake Clean with pretty good success. If you get down to bare metal you may want to prime and paint as this would be an area of exposed metal subject to rust.
Bill Clark
Bel Air, Maryland
1957 F code
2005 50th anniversary
1963 Avanti R2
1956 GMC Suburban Carrier pickup
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo
Prior Birds
1963 M code SR
1964 Convertable
1965 convertible