New 63, even new switch doesn't get dash/tail/parking lights working with door closed

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Bungalocity

New 63, even new switch doesn't get dash/tail/parking lights working with door closed

Post by Bungalocity »

YES, that's right. The only way these lights will work, is when door is Open, and dimmer is locked to far left.
And yes, I got a new switch today, not a bad fit for Autozone's - same exact design.

I was lucky to find this diagram online for my fuse box. And all seem to be working fuses. But that new red wire is odd and can't be original.
Runs under dash and tucks out of view towards console.

Unless someone has an obvious fix then I will take all my clues and hire a retired fella that tinkers with this stuff and has an old Vette. He's also an electrician.
Thoughts? For what it's worth, I clipped an idiotic push-start that was added between Brake-light and ignition switch so that's gone.

Thanks in advance...I'm getting there but will concede to outsource this one
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 6.28.22 PM.png
IMG_8357.jpeg
IMG_8302.jpeg

Cliff Rankin

Re: New 63, even new switch doesn't get dash/tail/parking lights working with door closed

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Check or run a test ground to the switch. Sounds like it’s using the doors ground turn on the lights. I bet the vett
Guy is used to this😄

stevegintn

Re: New 63, even new switch doesn't get dash/tail/parking lights working with door closed

Post by stevegintn »

Cliff, you are lucky to have a '63 - isn't your fuse box behind the passenger-side kick panel? (I believe that diagram is the same as in the Shop manual)

For my '62, it's under driver-side dash (I have to lay in the floorboard, upside-down, to see it!)

I also have non-working dash lights, but I'm outsourcing it, too.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N

Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Steve, yes and that is not my picture. I suggest skipping the fuse box and going back to the switch and checking the ground and/or making up a test ground at the switch.
My take on the description he gives is a ground issue not
A power issue. Thoughts ?

Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

Cliff, I'm so Noob at this it's beyond anyone's comprehension when giving advice.
I have a diagram of what all contacts on this switch are for, am I looking for voltage reading on a multi?

Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

stevegintn wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:00 am
Cliff, you are lucky to have a '63 - isn't your fuse box behind the passenger-side kick panel? (I believe that diagram is the same as in the Shop manual)

For my '62, it's under driver-side dash (I have to lay in the floorboard, upside-down, to see it!)

I also have non-working dash lights, but I'm outsourcing it, too.
And Steve, I'm 6-4 and I assure you, I lay prone over driver's seat and console, head 'down there' then have to twist my shoulders and view upside down! All while negotiating a flashlight position

Mheiron

Post by Mheiron »

My experience is that most weird electric faults are ground related until proven otherwise.
I’d start with a long ground wire from the battery.
Be absolutely positive you have a good ground!
Mark H.
Current bird nest:
1961 Restored Chestnut Convertible
1963 M-code Hard Top - Being restored
1995 White T-bird Super Coupe - Fun Toy

Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

Now, to make matters worse, since I decided it would be 'good exercise' to get acquainted with the gauge removal, and disconnected the left-most gas/temp and some burnt 1895 bulbs, something is draining the batt. over the course of 2 hours. Can't keep a charge!! Keep having to jump
11.8v, 1/2 hour later 11.75v, hour after that...clickity starter and nothing

Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Slow charge the battery and address other issues later.
You could be shooting yourself in the foot if you take on
To much at once.

Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

Cliff Rankin wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:46 am
Slow charge the battery and address other issues later.
You could be shooting yourself in the foot if you take on
To much at once.
OK Cliff and others, from my other posts I have made it to a sound engine (aside from a little tap) with all new from tank to last filter, plugs, air cleaner...
Now I need to focus on this Electrical anomaly as it's the last thing I need to become 'street legal'.
No brake or tail lights or front blinker lights kind of makes me a liability for anything other than going around the block for diagnostics!

As for Batt, I had suspected there was a constant draw somewhere hidden but thinking all the cranking I was doing trying to get gas to the front, and dying out with a choking carb, it just never ran long/hard enough to get a good full charge.

That said, my first task will be advice from Scott Anderson:
"Batt Draw
-take your test light, clip to negative batt cable after disconnect, touch probe to neg terminal on battery, it should NOT light up. If it do, then you have a draw somewhere.
-then start pulling fuses, one at a time til light goes out. Once light goes out you know which circuit is the guilty party"