1962 Cold Start question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Karl

Re: 1962 Cold Start question

Post by Karl »

G'day,
My car to is hard to start when cold also. Only after 1 week or there abouts though.
After 1 week I have to give the throttle about 7 good pumps to get some fuel into the manifold, I then start to crank and it fires after some time. If it doesn't catch I then give it some more pumps on the throttle.
the next day it starts fine, it is only after 1 week that there is a problem.
I think that after 1 week the oil around the rings leaks out and it doesn't have the compression or create enough vacuum to draw the fuel in. The engine does produce fumes out of the oil filler when at the lights.
I did notice that when I replaced the starter with a new aftermarket one that spins the engine a lot faster the problem is not as bad.

Just some extra thoughts.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
stevegintn

Re: 1962 Cold Start question

Post by stevegintn »

Karl wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 am G'day,
My car to is hard to start when cold also. Only after 1 week or there abouts though.
After 1 week I have to give the throttle about 7 good pumps to get some fuel into the manifold, I then start to crank and it fires after some time. If it doesn't catch I then give it some more pumps on the throttle.
the next day it starts fine, it is only after 1 week that there is a problem.
I think that after 1 week the oil around the rings leaks out and it doesn't have the compression or create enough vacuum to draw the fuel in. The engine does produce fumes out of the oil filler when at the lights.
I did notice that when I replaced the starter with a new aftermarket one that spins the engine a lot faster the problem is not as bad.

Just some extra thoughts.
Karl.
Thanks, Karl - I will keep all that in mind ... most likely, my next step will be a new carb?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N