63 Muffler dimensions

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

omc4u

63 Muffler dimensions

Post by omc4u »

Hello all,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Does anyone know the length of the muffler for a dual exhaust? I want an after market but need to stay at the correct length. The PO had single exhaust on it.

Thanks in advance.
stove

Re: 63 Muffler dimensions

Post by stove »

'63 4v cars had single exhaust
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Jim Wulf

Re: 63 Muffler dimensions

Post by Jim Wulf »

omc4u wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:36 pm Hello all,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Does anyone know the length of the muffler for a dual exhaust? I want an after market but need to stay at the correct length. The PO had single exhaust on it.

Thanks in advance.
There's always been some debate as to whether or not some very late '63's were equipped with dual exhaust, but I don't know whether that question has ever been resolved satisfactorily. I've seen a couple of '63 4V's equipped with duals and one of them, that belonged to my good late friend Don Marsh, even had FoMoCo embossed mufflers on it. There's always the possibility that it could have been an M Code setup that was installed by the dealer since the initial owner of that car was the wife of the owner of McCafferty Ford in Langhorne, PA. We just don't know for sure.

That being said, I still have those original embossed mufflers here that I saved for reference and the shell is 22 inches long including the rolled edge at either end. The diameter of the main shell itself is 6 inches, or 6 3/8 inches if the rolled end is included in the diameter measurement. Those are the same dimensions as the M Code mufflers that I installed on the two '63 M Code restorations that I did.

Presently I'm installing a conversion dual exhaust system made by Waldron on my '63 convertible, with donut gaskets instead of the flat M Code gaskets, and those mufflers have the same dimensions.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige