Swing away column problems

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Jedi Rello

Swing away column problems

Post by Jedi Rello »

I recently bought a 1962 Thunderbird, the swing away column will not stay engaged in park and will only start in neutral can any of you guys tell me what I'm looking for here to fix this thank you very much !
VTTBird

Re: Swing away column problems

Post by VTTBird »

Sounds like you need to replace the Shift Lever and the Shift Detent Plate. What you describe is a common and dangerous condition in these old birds.
Most all of the T Bird vendors have the parts you will need for about $100 or so.
Take a look at this: http://www.southsandia.com/website/shiftdetent.html
Ken
1962 Thunderbird Hardtop
VTCI # 12645
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Is your gear shift lever sloppy when changing into from park to Drive? Or are you saying that sliding your steering wheel column not staying in the drive position.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Jedi Rello

Post by Jedi Rello »

No everything feels OK in the column it's just when you put it in park it will not stay in park you can hold it there and swing the steering wheel over but it will not stay engaged in park to swing it over, it's like it does not read that it is in park so it will only start in neutral
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

As well as a worn shift lever and detent plate, the column bushings are a area to check. When sitting in the car with the wheel in front of you can you move it up and down? Also if you hold the shift lever up in park will it start then. I’ve replaced a fair amount of the bushings and only a couple shift levers detent plates. The shift handle will wear a notch in the end, I know some people who have welded them back solid but I’ve just used a new lever. Certainly not the worst job to fix but if you have a shop manual read thru the process, take your time and youll be fine. Untill you get it fixed I would make sure I had wheel chocks, I’ve seen many of them fall out of park while running or while parked.
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
Jedi Rello

Post by Jedi Rello »

While sitting in front of it the column does not move up and down even if I hold it in park it still will not start, you guys of been very helpful thank you very much
tbird

Post by tbird »

If the engine will not start when the shift lever is held up into park and everything is tight you likely need to check and align the neutral safety switch.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Jedi Rello wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 am While sitting in front of it the column does not move up and down even if I hold it in park it still will not start, you guys of been very helpful thank you very much
That's not where the slop is. The end of the shifter wears out along with the detent plate and that's what your problem is.
If these parts have not been replaced, they are bad by now.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.