62 thunderbird build sheet(s)?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Orign62tbirdred

62 thunderbird build sheet(s)?

Post by Orign62tbirdred »

So i recently bought a 62 thunderbird, standard hardtop. Has ps, pb, a/c, power windows, power seat, radio, and standard 390fe @ 300hp. And as i was doing the rear shocks i discovered the original build sheet, or shal i say sheets. There are two. One for my car, and one for apparently a different car. Still attached from factory and doesn’t seem like they have been touched since put there.

Any reason for there being two?

How come it says my car doesn’t have some options as it does?

As I’ve been decoding it, some of the letters or numbers on the build sheets don’t exist, what’s the meaning behind this?

(This is my first post and I’m not that familiar with these cars, more of a mopar, chevy kinda guy but i love me a 62)
This is the 2 build sheets attached under the rear seat.
This is the 2 build sheets attached under the rear seat.
Joe Johnston

Re: 62 thunderbird build sheet(s)?

Post by Joe Johnston »

I too had 2 build sheets and neither were for my car! One was a Thunderbird and another a Lincoln. Guess it happened occasionally.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

looks like you have the sheets from a tbird and lincoln, the lincoln behind the bird in build rotation. tbirds and lincolns were both built at the Wixom assy plant just north of Detroit, the sheets were often mixed up or ended up missing if a repair had to be made before shipping. nice find!
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Orign62tbirdred

Post by Orign62tbirdred »

Oh wow, that’s really cool. didn’t know that. Thank you for informing me of this.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

For even more info, go to the General Tech section and klik on Jim Wulf's Garage posting, then klik on Wixom film, on the assembly of a Bullet Bird. It shows the assembly of both Thunderbird and Lincoln cars. It will amaze you on the build. One point is the install of the rear bumper, and how quick it is done.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
tbird

Post by tbird »

Looks like your top sheet is for a Thunderbird and as best I could enlarge the picture looks that the bottom is a Lincoln.

Welcome to the forum lots of info here to help you with your repairs>
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Orign62tbirdred wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:06 am So i recently bought a 62 thunderbird, standard hardtop. Has ps, pb, a/c, power windows, power seat, radio, and standard 390fe @ 300hp. And as i was doing the rear shocks i discovered the original build sheet, or shal i say sheets. There are two. One for my car, and one for apparently a different car. Still attached from factory and doesn’t seem like they have been touched since put there.

Any reason for there being two?

How come it says my car doesn’t have some options as it does?

As I’ve been decoding it, some of the letters or numbers on the build sheets don’t exist, what’s the meaning behind this?

(This is my first post and I’m not that familiar with these cars, more of a mopar, chevy kinda guy but i love me a 62)

715EAA74-9002-4468-96F2-2DB656C94ADE.jpeg
Power brakes and power steering are standard equipment on a '62 T-bird and would not be listed. You ROT does have code '6' for the AC, should have '1' for PW, '1' for power driver's seat, and I would have to recheck my list for the radio. AC cars also typically have tinted glass, which your ROT sheet shows, and your ROT indicates that your car came with windshield washers. I haven't checked it to see what it shows for installation of fender shields or other options. A list of codes is in VTCI's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications book, available through the VTCI Country Store for VTCI members.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

If the ROT/build sheet of an early 62 convertible has the word " tonneau" typed across the bottom is it an authentic Sports Roadster?

The car is a Rangoon Red September 25 build. I am sorry if this is covered elsewhere already as I am a Mercury Cougar guy who is new to the T-Bird world

Steve
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Steve,

You will need to also verify the VIN for a "Model" number 89 that correlates with a Sports Roadster.

An example of a 62 Sports Roadster VIN would be, 2Y89Z10XXXX.

The VIN is located in three locations, Drivers Door Pillar Data Plate, under the hood between the Passengers side Headlight Housing & Hood Latch, and under the Passengers Windshield Cowling that supports the Wipers (this location requires removing of the Cowl to verify).

Potentially not required if the VIN is consistent between the Door Pillar and the Passengers side Headlight Housing & Hood latch.

Hope this is of assistance.

All the Best,

Jonathan
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

Thank you for your reply and the VIN location information.

The car that we are looking at is a Sept 25 build date 85 code convertible with the correct paint and interior codes of Rangoon Red and Black Vinyl. I haven't had a chance to inspect the car in person yet to verify VIN locations or Roadster features such as badging.

I asked about the ROT sheet having Tonneau on the bottom as I can't order a Gate release from Mr. Marti until I own the car....which won't happen unless I verify that it is a true Sports Roadster and the seller and I come to an agreement on price. We have ordered the Wonder book and a couple of other background reference books about Bullet Birds so that we can go about looking over the car the right way and asking the right questions.

As I mentioned we are Mercury Cougar collectors/enthusiasts but my wife and I also love 55-70 Birds, especially the Bullets. We fully intend to own one in the next year or two if we can somehow figure out where to store it!

Steve
Aaron65

Post by Aaron65 »

I have the build sheet from my '63, which also has a Lincoln build sheet attached to it. What do the numbers for "type order" stand for? Mine is a "2." All of the other options I have decoded based on a quick site search.

It would be cool to see if the Continental still exists...it was a white, low-optioned sedan headed for Los Angeles. Mine went to Dallas, apparently. How it ended up in Michigan, who knows?
1963 T-Bird Hardtop
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark
1965 Corvair Monza
1965 Dodge Dart wagon
1953 Buick Special Riviera
1974 Firebird Esprit
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Steve,

I have not seen a field on the ROT (Rotation Sheet) to record "tonneau."

Like with other vehicles it really is the VIN that drives the configuration.

However there is a field to record the "Serial Number" (VIN) which includes the model number as in your reference, "85."

An "85" defines the car as a "Tudor Convertible."

If a model designator "89" was located on the ROT and on the VIN locations that would validate the late build of September 1962 as a "Tudor Sports Roadster."

Unfortunately alteration of a document, and adding other Sports Roadster features are easier than altering the three VIN locations although as a member of this forum I have read about nefarious activity of altering the VIN's on the body.

In addition to the William Wonder "Thunderbird Restoration Guide" would recommend adding the VTCI "Original Factory Specifications" 1961-1963 that you can purchase at http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/c ... _books.htm under the, "VTCI Concours Rules" section to your library.

Hello Aron,

The "Type Order" defines the transaction where "2" is defined as "Dealer Stock."

The "Type Order" ranges from 1-8, H and A-Z for FoMoCo employee orders.

Also would recommend adding the VTCI "Original Factory Specifications" to your library also.

Hope this is of assistance gentleman,

All the Best,

Jonathan
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

With all due respect to the above responses, when it comes to Sports Roadsters built at least before the middle of December 1961, the first 465-or-so were coded as '85' in the Serial Number/VIN with a model/body code of '76A' on the data plate/ROT sheet. The convertible in question was built in the same time frame as the first few hundred in mid-late September 1961 with Rangoon Red bodies and black interiors.

Production of Sports Roadsters began on September 13, 1961 with S/N 2Y85Z105844. Change to “76B/89” coding took effect mid-December 1961, based on data from the VTCI Owners Survey collection and information obtained from surviving Factory Gate Releases. Other sources state that Sports Roadsters built before 2-2-62 used ‘85'/'76A’ codes. Authentication can be verified by consulting car’s factory invoice/Gate Release and ROT build sheet. The Gate Release/Invoice will denote the Sports Roadster package toward the top of the listing of options; the other key piece of documentation is the ROT sheet, which will have a code '4' under the ORN PKG/RACK box, and 'TONNEAU' across the bottom of the sheet.

Additional information on how to authenticate a true Sports Roadster along with additional information to determine factory originality and help restore to OEM standards can be found in VTCI's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications Manual as noted above.

To the person looking at the '62 built on Sept. 25th, I maintain a registry of T-birds and can check to see if I have it logged in. PM me directly with VIN info to see if I have info on it.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
nbaum

Post by nbaum »

That 9/25 built car should have cornering weights in the trunk and behind the front bumper as well.
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
tbirdtommy

Post by tbirdtommy »

I did not find my ROT sheet in my car that was built September 23rd. My problem is I believe it to be a SR, but can't afford at the moment the $1000 that Ron Bates of the Sports Roadster Society is requesting to get my copy of the ROT. I have another 62 Hardtop that Marti's did not have a gate sheet for. So I assume there is a lot of hit and miss out there in finding them behind the seat or getting a copy from other sources. Attached is a pic of my car and the corner weights referenced above.
Attachments
25.jpg
25.jpg (10.32 KiB) Viewed 5263 times
26.jpg
26.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 5263 times
1.jpg
13.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg