Wiring

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Karl

Wiring

Post by Karl »

G'day.
I have been re-furbishing some replacement reversing lights for my 63. The wires that go to the lights are hard and brittle and the ends could lead to a bad connection so I have been trying to replicate the original one's. Where the wire goes into the socket for the globe this was badly corroded and needed some cleaning. I replaced the wire and had to make up a terminal end to hold the wire in place so the bulb could sit on.
I acquired a plastic injection moulding machine and made up a die to replicate the male terminal end. I had some success with them and will have a go at the female end.
Also I managed to replicate the engineering number and printed this on the wire, the only problem is the font is scaled down so it fits on the smaller dia wire. The original wires had a larger diameter insulation on them, the modern wire is smaller in dia. The copper is the same but the insulation is smaller.
Also the plastic tubing has a unique sealed end where it enters the boot (trunk), I think this is to stop dust from entering the trunk area
Here is some photo's.

Karl.
Attachments
Wire printing.jpg
Tubing sealed end.jpg
Bulb socket repair 4.jpg
1A.jpg
Moulded plastic ends Multi.jpg
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Karl

Re: Wiring

Post by Karl »

G'day,
Made up a new die to put plastic insulation around the male terminal end. This one is easier to use and has a better finish.
So now I can replace the old broken and hard wires with same type of terminal ends
Attachments
Wire terminal end die 2.jpg
Wire terminal end die 1.jpg
New die 1.jpg
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Kudos to you Karl, You have mastered the art. You should become a supplier for this kind of work. I'am sure that you will be busy. Thanks for posting your techniques on this forum.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Fully agree!
You need to move to this side of the pond, so that the rest of us can use your technology, without paying for the freight. I know it aint cheep!
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
Well after a lot of trial and error (mostly error) I managed to recreate the Ford twin style plug using "Santoprene".
I also managed to re-create the wires that go to the courtesy light in the door.
Correct wire ends.
Engineering numbers printed on the wires.
Correct colour coded wires.
Asphalt insulation.
Attachments
Door courtesy light wire.jpg
Twin wire plug.jpg
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

That is spectacular Karl , those look so authentic just like New Old Stock....You are the Wizard of Oz :smile:
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Karl

Post by Karl »

Here is some images of one of the finished reversing lights.
When I had them re-chromed the plater said it would be hard to get the chrome to stick to the inside. What he did was paint the inside with some blue coloured stuff and then painted with chrome paint or chrome plated the inside. The only problem is it was so thick you couldn't see the casting numbers on the inside of the light. Bulb number and so on. You can see how it was in one of the photo's. If I have anymore done I will tell him not to worry about the inside. I ended up wire brushing all the paint out and just sprayed chrome paint on the inside.
Anyway they look a lot better than the way they were.
Attachments
Repaired reversing light 6.jpg
Repaired reversing light 5.jpg
Repaired reversing light 4.jpg
Repaired reversing light 3.jpg
Repaired reversing light 2.jpg
Repaired reversing light 1.jpg
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

A wonderful piece of work. A lot of effort went into this piece to manufacture. Makes me want to go out and buy a Bird just to give me reason to buy two of your lights.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Beautifully done Karl, If I still had my 61 and if I lived near you I would have kept my bullet bird.
VTCI Member # 12309