Replacement for Thrust button on '62

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

jonwjames

Replacement for Thrust button on '62

Post by jonwjames »

Hey Everyone,

I am in the process of replacing the timing gear and chain in my '62. I am looking for advice about finding a replacement for the camshaft thrust button. I posted a picture of mine below (the view is of the underside of the button). The button is really brittle and worn uneven and one of the edges is broken. I'm concerned it won't survive much longer if I reuse it.

1) should I be concerned about this, or does the button below appear functional?

2) I can't seem to find any replacements, except for a $70 OEM spring and button kit on ebay. I am happy to spend the $70 if it means not revisiting this problem in the future. However, I am wondering if anyone can suggest any alternatives.

Thanks for your help.
image1.jpeg
Jim Wulf

Re: Replacement for Thrust button on '62

Post by Jim Wulf »

The thrust button assembly must be in place and it needs to be the correct part. You might try contacting a Thunderbird parts supplier to see if they might have the part at a more reasonable price. Sometimes the parts you find on EBay are overpriced.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
jonwjames

Post by jonwjames »

Jim. Thanks. I haven't seen them in any of the catalogs. I tried calling Larry's in hopes that it might be something that they carried but was not in the catalog. I will try some of the other parts dealers on the links page.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Can't the '63-later style retainer that holds the cam in place be retrofitted to the '62-earlier block without replacing the cam?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
BobHH

Post by BobHH »

I believe you have to replace the cam, chain and sprockets, and have the block drilled and tapped for the screws. Here is a layout from Bogie over in the FE forum:

You need a thrust plate ( C3AZ-6269-A), a split spacer (C3AZ-6265-A) (sometimes the spacer is part of the gear, if you have it you have it, if you need it and don't have it that's another trip to the store), the proper 1963 and up timing set, gears and chain, a 1963 and up cam, a couple unplated course thread 5/16's button head bolts about an 1/2 to 3/4's inch in length at least grade 5, a pair of 5/16's lock washers (a note, different brands of timing gears may or may not clear the bolt heads with the washers use as space allows), a late model FE fuel pump eccentric and the center bolt, most people say to exclusively use the Ford bolt but an unplated grade 8 will work.

The sticky part is tapping the side holes, it's tough to be sure you've got all the chips accounted for unless the engine is in pieces and can be throughly cleaned afterwards. The plugs pull out by drilling a small hole, putting in a self tapping screw and popping them out with a pry. The center plug has a jiggle pin in it to bleed air. It's loss is no big deal(the jiggle pin not the plug), while you're drilling and tapping things it can be replaced with a invert drive plug, just don't go so deep you cut off oil to the #1 cam and main bearings. Always remember that LockTite is your friend.
Bob Harris
Strange 1962 Thunderbird SR?
GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

You might try the folks at Bird Nest. They have a fairly large used parts collection and have come through with strange OEM parts for me in the past. Used parts aren't listed in the catalog, but give them a call at 1-800-232-6378 and see if they can help.

You might also try the folks at the FE engine forum. Don't know the url off the top of my head, but they have a wealth of information on our engines.

George
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs