What is this please?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

MB63BulletBird

What is this please?

Post by MB63BulletBird »

I don't have an owner's manual yet (in the mail). What is this with the arrow pointing to it.
Thanks all.
MB
IMG_0698.jpg
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. -Ronald Reagan
Alan H. Tast

Re: What is this please?

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Light comes on when emergency brake is engaged. Uses a special bulb that flashes.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
MB63BulletBird

Post by MB63BulletBird »

Thanks Mr. Tast. Can you install the bulb from the front or do you need to remove the dash panel?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. -Ronald Reagan
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

You should be able to access it from behind the dash. There is a spring and clip on it if you crawl under the dash corner to look at it. It also has a red lens on the front that mounts in the bezel to glow red when you depress the emergency brake pedal.

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

If your emergency brake is on it will flash Red .When I had my 61, someone poked the lens out . The chrome Benzel is spring loaded. Reaching under the dash It to reinstall the lens/bulb turns to lock in place it was a PITA (Pain In The #@*) to reassemble. My advise is DO NOT TOUCH !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
MB63BulletBird

Post by MB63BulletBird »

So the bulb is clear but there should be a red lens in the bezel to get it back to OEM? Can you guys give me a bulb number please? And thank you for all the input.
Regards,
MB
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day,
The only number that I know the bulb by is #257. That is in the manual 62-63, group 13 page 61
If you type 257 blinking bulb into google you come up with a lot of suppliers. However you will have to ring them up to make sure that the bulb does blink.
If you go into Mac's web pages they have the one that goes into the park brake light but again you will have to ring them up.
Same goes with "Bird Nest".
Happy shopping.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Do you have the lens in tact? If it is missing you may go to a hobby store and buy a small plastic Red sheet, That's what
did. Finding this lens on E Bay is almost impossible.
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
MB63BulletBird

Post by MB63BulletBird »

Copy all gents. Will let you know when I get the car back from Early American what I have and what I do with this issue. Thanks.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

It looks that the lens is missing, Before you attempt to try to remove the benzel. I would put the emergency brake on to see if the light will flash. If so then go to a hobby store and get a red sheet of plastic. Cut a small diameter to fit just inside the benzel just enough to go half way in. I used a very small amount of clear silicone just barely placing in the benzel opening.
VTCI Member # 12309
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978